556 Route 65. FIESOLE.
in straw-plaiting (for fans about l/2 fr., little baskets 1 fr.). Near
the Román theatre is a little exhibition of their produce.
On the height we enter the spacious Piazza Mino da Fiesole, and
.perceive immediately opposite us the —
Cathedral, one of the earliest and simplest examples of the
Tuscan-Romanesque style, begun in 1028 by Bishop Jacopo il Bavaro,
restored in 1256, and lately remodelled. It is a basilica of simple
exterior, with a transept and a spacious crypt beneath the lofty choir.
The columnar distances and the openings of the arches in the interior
are irregular. The campanile dates from 1213.
On the entrance-wall, over the door, St. Romulus, a terracotta figure
of the School of the Robbia (1521). — Choir. Over the altar, Madonna and
saints, School of Giotto. The chapel to the right of the choir contains
the Monument of Bishop Salutati (d. 1466), with the bust of the deceased
and (above) a fine sarcophagus by Mino da Fiesole; to the left is a bas-
relief by the same master, representing the Adoration of the Child. On
the sides and above these, frescoes of the School of Botticelli (retouched).
Behind the cathedral is a gateway marked 'Ingresso agli Scavi',
forming the entrance to the ruins of some ancient buildings excavated
since 1873 (50 c, admitting to Museum also; see below). The
Román Theatre, with its stage facing the S., has nineteen tiers of
stone seats, in a semicircle 37 yds. in diameter. Below are three
other rows for the seats of persons of rank. A little farther down are
some scanty and partly restored remains of a Román Temple. A
small projection, near the Via Giovanni Dupré (p. 555), affords a
view of a fragment of the Ancient Etruscan Wall. Above the theatre
we have a good view of the valley of the Mugnone, Pratolino, and
Mte. Senario (p. 557); to the left the railway to Faenza.
Opposite the cathedral, on the W. side of the piazza, are the Episcopal
Palace and the Priests' Seminary. — On the E. side of the piazza is the
small Palazzo Pretorio, oí the 13th cent., bearing the arms of the magis-
trates (podestá); on the groundfloor is the insignificant Museo Fiesolano,
containing the yield of the excavatious mentioned above (tickets, see
above). — Adjacent to it is the oíd, but entirely modernized, church of
Santa María Primerana, of the lOth cent., containing a tabernacle in
terracotta (Crucifixión) of the school of Luca della Robbia (1442); to the right,
reliefs of the heads of St. Rochus and the Virgin by Francesco da Sangullo
(1542 and 1575). Key at house No. 11; fee 30 e.
The site ot' the Román Capitol of Fsesulse is occupied by a
Franciscan Monastery (1130 ft.; not accessible for ladies), to which
the Via San Francesco, ascending abruptly to the W., opposite the
cathedral, leads in a few minutes. It contains a painting by Piero
di Cosimo (Conception of the Virgin; 1480). — On the right, a
little below the monastery, rises the venerable, but much disflgured
church of Sant' Alessandro, with 15 antique columns of cipollino.
The plateau in front of it commands a beautiful and extensive
*View (flnest at sunset) of the valley of Florence, bounded on the
S. by several ranges of hills, and on the W. by the heights of
Monte Albano. A fine view of the Apennines and the upper Mug¬
none valley is obtained from the edge of the wood behind the