of the Arno. FLORENCE. 64. Route. 547
(p. 548) and affording beautiful views. — The alley at the N.E.
comer of the Neptune basin leads to the Casino Belvedere (Pl. D, 7),
from the lofty roof of which a flne *View of the city is obtained
(fee 15-20 c).
We now return to the Basin of Neptune and follow tho alley
leading from its N.W. comer to a lawn, also affording a flne view.
We may descend direct from this point, but it is better to follow
the Viottolone to the S.W., a beautiful cypress avenue adorned with
statues and leading past a small orángery to the charming Vasca
dell' Isolotto (Pl. B, 7). In the centre of this basin, on an island
planted with flowers, rises a fountain surmounted by a colossal statue
of Oceanus and figures of three river-gods by Giovanni da Bologna.
The surrounding walks are chiefly embellished with 'genre' works.
To the right of the Oceanus basin a broad path, parallel with
the palace, is reached, which leads past a lemon-house to the prin¬
cipal entrance. Another exit, reached by a side-path diverging to
the left, immediately beyond the lemon-house and near a fountain
with Bacchus on the lion, leads into the Via Romana.
A little to the S. of the above-mentioned basin are the Reale Scuderie,
or Royal Mews (Pl. B, 7, 8), containing a collection of ancient state-carriages
(adm. 10-3; permesso in the 'Amministrazione' of the Pal. Pitti, see p. 464).
AtVia Romana 19,totheW. of the Pitti Palace, is the Museum of
Natural Science (Museo di Física e Storia Naturale; Pl. C, 6; adm.,
see p. 464), founded by Leopold L, and since greatly extended.
The public museum is on the Second Floor ; the zoological collections
occupy about 20, the botanical 3 rooms. There is also an admirable ana-
tomical collection in 12 rooms, consisting chiefly of preparations in wax,
by Clemente Susini and his successors the two Culenzuoli and Calamai.
On the First Floor (r.) is situated the Tribuna of Galileo, inaugur-
ated in 1841, on the occasion of the assembly at, Florence of the principal
scholars of Italy, constructed by Giuseppe Martelli, and adorned with
paintings by Giuseppe Bezzuoli, Luigi Sabatelli, etc., illustrating the history
of Galileo, Volta, and other men of science; also a statue of Galileo by
A. Costoli, numerous busts of celebrated men, and mosaics in the pavement,
designed by Sabatelli, and executed by Giov. Batt. Silvestri. Along the
wa'.ls are six cabinets containing Galileo's telescope and other instru-
ments of historie interest.
Opposite stands the ancient church of San Felice (Pl. C, 6),
with a flne porch, rebuilt in 1457 by Michelozzo (?): 2nd altar to the
right, Giov. della Robbia (?), Pietá, a coloured relief in terracotta;
7th altar to the left, Giov. da San Giovanni, St. Maximus refreshing
St. Félix with a bunch of grapes; above, opposite the high-altar,
No. 9, Piazza San Felice, is the Casa Guidi, in which Robert and
Elizabeth Barrett Browning lived from 1848 till the death of the latter
in 1861 (tablet). See her poem, 'Casa Guidi Windows'.
Immediately adjoining the Ponte alie Grazie (Pl. E, F, 6, 7;
p. 471) is the Piazza de' Mozzi, in which (No. 6) rises the Palazzo
Torrigiani (Pl. E, 7), erected in the 16th cent, by Baccio d'Agnolo
and others, but disflgured by alterations.