534 Route 64. FLORENCE. g. Santa Trinita
Frescoes by Lorenzo Monaco; Annunciation, altar-piece, by the same.
5th Chapel: Fine marble altar by Benedetto da Rovezzano (1552). — Left
Aisle. 3rd Chapel: Tomb of Giuliano Davanzati (d. 1444), in the style
of an early-Christian sarcophagus. 5th Chapel: Wooden statue of the
Magdalen, by Desiderio da Settignano (completed by Benedetto da Maiuno).
Choir Wall. The 2nd Chapel to the left contains the fine 'Monument
of Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole (d. 1450), by Lucu della Robbia,
completed in 1457 (formerly in San Pancrazio). The recumbent figure of
the deceased and the border of painted and glazed garlands of fruit are
especially admired. — In the spandrels of the Choir are four frescoes of
the Patriarchs by Alessio Baldovinetli. — The Cappella de' Sassetti, the
second on the right from the high-altar, is adorned with 'Frescoes (some
much injured) from the life of St. Francis by Dom. Ghirlandaio, dating
from 1485, and presents a model of consistent ornamentation. The frescoes
are in double rows. We begin with the upper row, to the left: 1. St.
Francis banished from his father's house; 2. Pope Honorius confirms the
rules of the order; 3. St. Francis in presence of the Sultán. Lower row:
1. St. Francis receiving the stigmata; 2. Resuscitation of a child of the
Spini family; 3. Interment of the saint. The donors near the altar and
the sibyls on the ceiling are also by Ghirlandaio. The altar-piece (Adora¬
tion of the Shepherds) is a modern copy of Ghirlandaio. At each side
are handsome tombs of the Sassetti by Giul. da Sangallo. — In the Sacristy,
adjacent on the right, formerly the Chapel of the Strozzi, is a monument
of Onofrio Strozzi, father of Palla Strozzi, by Piero di Niccolb (1417).
Opposite the church, at the córner of the Borgo Santi Apostoli
(p. 475), rises the Palazzo Barlolini-Salimbeni (now Hotel du Nord),
a late-Renaissance building by Baccio d'Agnolo (1520). — Also to
the left, near the Arno, is the imposing Palazzo Spini (Pl. D, 5),
now usually called the Pal. Ferroni, dating from the beginning of
the 14th cent., and still retaining the aspect of a mediasval strong-
hold. It was restored in 1874 and is the headquarters of the 'Circolo
Filológico' (p. 462) and of the Florence Section of the Italian Alpine
Club. — Ponte S. Trinita, see p. 536.
Proceeding along the bank of the Arno from the S. side of the
Piazza S. Trinita by the pretty Lungarno Corsini (Pl. D, 5, 4),
we pass on the right (No. 2) the Palazzo Masetti (Pl. D, 6), for¬
merly Fontebuoni, where the dramatist Alfieri resided and died
(Oct. 9th, 1803). ■— No. 10 in the same street is the Palazzo Corsini
(Pl. D, 4), remodelled in 1656 by Pier Francesco Silvani, with a
magniflcent staircase by Ant. Ferri (1695). It contains a valuable
Picture Gallery (adm., see p. 464; entrance at the back of the court,
to the right, fee 72 fr. ; lists of the pictures furnished).
I. Room: 7. Dosso Dossi (?), Nymph and Satyr (original in the Pitti
Gallery, No. 147, p. 542); 15. Luca Giordano, Venus healing the wounds of
.Eneas; 13, 14, 21, 24. Suslermans, Portraits of the Medici. — II. Room:
Battle-pieces by Borgognone (47, 54) and Salvator Rosa (49,51, 74,76, 82, 84);
sea-pieces by Salv. Rosa (55, 63). — On the side next the Arno, III. Room :
95. Carlo Dolci, Madonna (in crayons); 92. Giov. Batt. Moroni (1), Portrait i
202. Tintoretto (?), Portrait; 100. Santi di Tito, Baptism of Christ- 105-
Giulio Romano, Copy of Raphael's Violinist (1518?); 199. Italian School
(not Van Dyck), Portrait ot Ottavio Piccolomini; 121. Jac. da Empoli, Ma¬
donna, after a lost fresco by A. del Sarto; 122. Copy of Titian's Madonna
in the Hof-Museum at Vienna; above the door, 126. Caravaggio, Still-life-
129. Rid. Ghirlandaio, Portrait; 128. Rembrundt, His own portrait as an oíd'
man (copy). On an easel, Suslermans, Marquis Geri della Rena. — IV. Room :
over the door, 180. Artemisia Genlileschi, Judith (comp. p. 545); 416. An-