o. Santa Trinita. FLORENCE. 64. Route. 533
the rings are among the flnest specimens of Italian iron-work of the
period. The court, added by Cronaca, is also impressive.
Nearly opposite, on the E. side of the piazza, is the Palazzo
Strozzino (Pl. E, 5), a smaller building in a similar style, with a
fine court, ascribed to Giuliano da Maiano (ca. 1460).
The back of the Pal. Strozzi abuts on the Via Tornabuoni
(Pl. D, 4,5), the most fashionable street in Florence, with handsome
palazzi and flne shops. On the right (No. 20), is the Palazzo Corsi-
Salviati (Pl. D,E, 4), formerly Tornabuoni, originally by Michelozzo,
but remodelled in 1867. No. 19, on the left, is the fine Palazzo Lar-
derel (Pl. D, 4), formerly Giacomini, in the developed Renaissance
style, by Giov. Ant. Dosio (1558-80). No. 3, also on the left,
facing the Piazza Antinori(Pl. E, 4), is the Palazzo Antinori, with
its elegant early-Renaissance facade, said to have been built by
Giuliano da Sangallo. — Opposite is the church of Santi Michele
e Gaetano, rebuilt by Matteo Nigetti in 1604-48. Adjacent, to the
left, is the Cappella San Gaetano (sacristán in the lañe to the left),
containing a relief of the Madonna by Andrea della Robbia.
Two streets lead to the W. opposite the Pal. Strozzi: the Via
della Vigna Nuova, to the left, and the Via della Spada, to the
right. In the former (No. 20; right) is the * Palazzo Rucellai
(Pl. D, 4), erected in 1446-51 by -Bern. Rossellino from a design
by León Battista Alberti, who for the flrst time here employed a
combination of rustica and pilasters. Opposite is a loggia of 1468,
now built up. — In the Via della Spada are the former church of
San Pancrazio (now a cigar-factory), in the Piazza S. Pancrazio,
and the little Cappella de' Rucellai (key kept by the porter of the
Pal. Rucellai; fee 30-50 c). The chapel contains an ideal imitation
in marble of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem, a charming early-
Renaissance structure, also by Alberti (1467). — The continuation
of the Via della Spada, Via di Palazzuolo, see p. 532.
Tho Via Tornabuoni ends on the S. in the long Piazza Santa
Trinita (Pl. D, 5). The N. end of the square is adorned with a
Granite Column from the Baths of Caracalla at Rome, erected here
in 1563 and furnished in 1570 with an inscription in honour of
Cosimo I., who had just been made grand-duke by the pope. On
the summit is placed a statue of Justice in porphyry, by Fr. Tadda,
added in 1581. The figure was afterwards considered too slender,
and consequently draped with a robe of bronze.
The church of *Santa Trinita (Pl. D, 5; pronounced Trinita by
the Florentines), one of the oldest in the city, was in the possession
of the monks of Vallombrosa (p. 559) from the end of the llth cent.
onwards. In the 13-15th cent, it was renewed in the Gothic style
from plans ascribed to Niccolb Pisano (?), but it was modernized by
Buontalenti in 1593 and furnished with its present facade.
The Interior, restored since 1884 in the style of the 14th cent., con¬
sists of nave and aisles with transept, and is flanked with chapels at the
sides and adjoining the high-altar. — Right Aisle. 4th Chapel (closed):