532 Route 64, FLORENCE. g. Palazzo Strozzi.
Mr. Ruskin devotes Nos. IV and V of the 'Mornings in Florence' to
the frescoes in this chapel. — The Great Cloisters, the largest at Flor¬
ence, with frescoes by Cigoli, Al. Allori, Santi di Tito, Poccetti, and others,
are adjacent to the above. — The three smaller courts date from different
parts of the 15th century. — Opposite the above-mentioned Sepolcreto,
adjoining the tomb of the Marchesa Ridolfo, are two small frescoes by
Giotto, representing the Meeting of SS. Joachim and Anna at the Golden
Gate and the Birth of the Virgin (see No. II of the 'Mornings in Florence').
The Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella (Pl. D, 3), or laboratory
of the monastery (entrance in the Via della Scala, No. 12A), contains
in a former chapel frescoes (retouched) of the 14th cent, (the Pas¬
sion), by Spinello Aretino. The Spezeria is celebrated for the per¬
fumes and liqueurs prepared in it, especially 'Alkermes', a specialty
of Florence, flavoured with cinnamon and cloves.
Farther on in the Via della Scala (No. 89) is the Palazzo Ridolfi
(formerly Pal. Stiozzi; Pl. C, 2). The adjoining garden, the Orti
Oricellari, was the seat of the Platonic Academy (p. 470) from 1498
to 1522, and afterwards belonged to Bianca Cappello, wife of Grand-
Duke Francis I. (p. 536). It contains a colossal figure of Poly-
phemus by Novelli, and other sculptures.
In the Via di Palazzuolo is the church of San Francesco
de' Vanchetoni (Pl. D, 3), with two beautiful busts of children,
by Ant. Rossellino and Desiderio da Settignano. Key at the neigh¬
bouring shop, No. 13 (fee 30 o.).
g. From the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele to the Piazza Santa
Trinita and the Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci.
The uninteresting new Piazza Vittorio Emanuele (Pl. E, 4, 5)
now forms the focas of the Centro (p. 471) and is especially an-
imated in the evening. It occupies part of the site of the Román
Forum, which afterwards became the market-place. In the middle,
facing the Via degli Speziali (p. 477), rises a bronze equestrian
Statue of Victor Emmanuel II., by Emilio Zocchi (1890). — On the
W. side of the piazza is a pórtico with an imposing arch forming
the entrance to the Via degli Strozzi (Pl. E, 4), with its shops.
Adjacent to the left, in the narrow Piazza Strozzi, rises the hand¬
*Palazzo Strozzi (Pl. D, E, 4), begun in 1489, perhaps by Bene¬
detto da Maiano (d. 1497), for Filippo Strozzi, the celebrated ad-
versary of the Medici (comp. p. 455), continued by Cronaca (d. 1508),
but not reaching its present state of completion till 1533. It pre-
sents an example of the Florentine palatial style in its most perfect
development. It possesses three imposing facades, constructed of
regular courses of heavy rustica-work, with narrow intervening
cornices, immediately above which are the handsome windows, with
their columnar mullions. The celebrated top cornice (unfinished),
by Cronaca, is an enlarged copy from an antique Román fragment.
The fanali or corner-lanterns (by Caparra), the link-holders, and