e. Cenacolo di S. Apollonia. FLORENCE. 64. Route. 525
(1517); 12. John made prisoner (1517); 13. Dance of Salome (1522); 14. Death
of John. — 15. His head brought in on a charger; 16. Allegorical figure
of Hope (the last three, painted in 1523, mark the zenith of Florentine
monumental painting). — It is interesting to remark in several of these
frescoes the influence of Albert Dürer. For example, in the Sermón of John,
the Pharisee in the long robe and the woman with the child are borrowed
from the engravings of the Germán master.
Proceeding farther to the N.E., we traverse the Via Salvestrina
to the left, and enter the Via San Gallo, No. 74 in which, a comer
house, is the *Palazzo Nencini, formerly the Palazzo Pandolflni
(Pl. G, H, 2), erected in 1516-20 by Giov. Franc. da Sangallo, from
the designs of Raphael.
A little to the N.W. of the Piazza San Marco, at Via Ventisette
Aprile A, is the little Cenacolo di Sant' Apollonia (Pl. G, 3), the
refectory of a monastery of that ñame (founded in 1339), now used
as a military store. Since 1890 the Cenacolo has contained a small
picture-gallery (adm., see p. 464).
In the Ante-Room are paintings of the 15th cent., including the re-
production of Filippo IÁppi's Adoration of the Magi, mentioned at p. 518.
The other works are chiefly from the studio of Dom. Ghirlandaio. — The
Main Boom contains several works by Andrea del Castagno. On three of
the walls are the remains of a series of frescoes (ca. 1435), transferred to
canvas and removed from the Villa Pandolflni at Legnaia. These consist
of nine portrait-figures (freely retouched) of celebrated men and women,
presenting impressive ideal types of the commanding personalities of the
Renaissance: Esther (on the entrance-wail); Filippo Scolari, surnamed
Pippo Spano, i.e. 'Obergespan' or supreme count of Temesvar, theconqueror
of the Turks; 'Farinata degli Uberti, leader of the Ghibellines (p. 467);
Nic Acciaioli, mentioned on p. 551; the Cumsean Sibyl; Tomyris; Dante ;
Petrarch ; and Boccaccio. On the wall to the right is an admirably pre¬
served 'Fresco of the Last Supper, with figures charged with life (a late
work of the master; ca. 1450?); above, the Crucifixión, with the Entomb¬
ment on the right and the Resurrection (beardless Christ) on the left.
The Via Ventisette Aprile ends on the N.W. at the large Piazza
delF Indipendenza (Pl. F, 2; omn., see p. 461), which is em¬
bellished with bronze statues of the statesmen Betuno Ricasoli
(1809-80) and Ubaldino Peruzzi (1822-91; Sindaco of Florence from
1864 to 1878), both erected in 1897.
The Via della Fortezza leads henee to the N.W. to the Viale
Filippo Strozzi (electric tramway No. 1, p. 460), and to the Fortezza
San Giovanni Battista, now the Fortezza da Basso (Pl. E, F, 1), built
by Duke Alexander in 1534-35 to overawe the city. — From the
E. side of the fort pleasant public gardens extend as far as the
picturesque Via Lungo il Mugnone (Pl. F-H, 1).
f. From the Piazza del Duomo to San Lorenzo and Santa Maria
From the entrance of the busy Via de' Cerretani, which leads
straight from the Piazza del Duomo (p. 477) to Santa Maria Novella,
the Borgo S. Lorenzo runs to the right to the Piazza San Lorenzo
(Pl. F, 4). To the left in this square is the church of S. Lorenzo,
and at its N. end, near the Via de' Ginori (p. 518), is a statue of