518 Route 64. FLORENCE. e. From the Piazza del Duomo
mirable design. — The altar-piece, an Adoration of the Magi by Fra Filippo
Lippi. is now in Berlin, but there is a reproduction of it in Sant' Apollonia
The second staircase on the right ('Ingresso agli Ufflzi della Reale
Prefettura') leads to the Gallery (adm., see p. 464), a sumptuous apart-
ment, with a ceiling-painting by Luca Giordano, representing the Medici
as gods of light among the deities of Olympus (1684).
At the back of the palace, Via de' Ginori 4, is the entrance to
the Biblioteca Riccardiana , founded about 1600 by Riccardo
Riccardi, and purchased by the state in 1812. The collection
comprises about 30,000 vols. and 3800 MSS., including a Virgil
illustrated with miniatures by Ben. Gozzoli and several MSS. by
Dante, Petrarch, Machiavelli, Galileo, eto. Admission, see p. 464.
The Palazzo ffinori(Pl.F,3),Via de'Ginori 13, was built by Baccio d'Agnolo.
Farther on in the Via Cavour (No. 45; left) Is the Biblioteca
Marucelliana (Pl. G, 3; adm., see p. 464), founded in 1703 by
Francesco Marucelli, containing ca. 150,000 vols. (numerous works
on the history of art), 1500 MSS., and a fine collection of engravings.
Farther on, to the right, opens the Piazza San Marco (Pl. G, 3),
which is adorned with a bronze statue of General Fanti (d. 1861),
by Pió Fedi (1872). — On the N.E. side of this piazza rises San
Marco, an oíd monastic church, foundedin 1290, several times rebuilt
(once by Giov. da Bologna), and provided with a facade in 1780.
Interior. Entrance-wall: Pietro Cavallini (a pupil of Giotto), The
Annunciation, a fresco; over the central door, Giotto, Crucifixión. Right
Wall, 2nd altar: 'Madonna with six saints, by Fra Bartolomeo (1509; in¬
jured); 3rd altar: Early-Christian mosaic from Rome (modernized). — In
the Sacristy (erected by Michelozzo, 1437) a recumbent statue of St. An-
toninus (p. 519) in bronze, by Portigiani. — In the left transept, the Chapel
of St. Antoninüs ; architecture (ca. 1588) and statue of the saint (above
the entrance-arch) by Giovanni da Bologna; the six statues of other saints
are by Pietro Francavilla. Frescoes, representing the burial of the saint,
by Passignano. — This church contains (between the 2nd and 3rd altars
of the left wall) the tombs of the celebrated scholar Giovanni Pico della
Mirándola (p. 376), who died in 1494 at the age of 31, and of the learned
poet Angelo Poliziano (1454-94; p. 470).
Adjacent to the church is the entrance to the once far-famed
*Monastery of San Marco (Pl. G, 3), suppressed in 1867, and now
restored and fitted up as the Museo di San Marco (adm., see p. 464;
catalogue, 1869, l'/2 fr.). The building was originally occupied
by 'Silvestrine' monks, but was transferred under Cosimo the Eider
to the Dominicans, who were favoured by the Medici. In 1437-43
it was restored in a handsome style from designs by Michelozzo,
and shortly afterwards it was decorated by Fra Giovanni Angélico
da Fiesole (1387-1455) with those charming *Frescoes which to this
day are unrivalled in their portrayal of profound and devoted piety.
The painter Fra Bartolomeo della Porta (1475-1517) was a monk
in this monastery from 1500, and the powerful preacher Girolamo
Savonarola (burned at the stake in 1498, see p. 468) also once
The First Cloisters, which are entered immediately from the street,
contain a fresco by Pocceiti in the Sth lunette to the right of the entrance,