510 Route 64. FLORENCE. d. Spedale degli Innocenti.
is (No. 1) the Palazzo Riccardi-Mannelli, a brick edifice with orna¬
mentation in stone of Fiesole, erected by Bern. Buontalenti inl565.
The piazza is embellished with two baroque fountains by Pietro
Tacca (1629), and the Equestrian Statue of the Grand-Duke Fer¬
dinand I., by Giovanni da Bologna (his last, but not his best work),
erected in 1608, and east of metal captured from the Turks. The
pedestal was adorned in 1640.
On the S.E. side of the piazza rises the Spedale degli Inno¬
centi, or Foundling Hospital (Pl. G, 4; adm. on week-days 1-6 p.m.),
the initial work of Renaissance architecture, begun in 1419 by
Brunelleschi, continued after 1427 by his pupil Francesco della Luna,
and completed in 1451, at the expense of the Guild of Silk Weavers.
The medallions with charming "Infanta in swaddling clothes, be¬
tween the arches, are by Andr. della Robbia. To the left in the court,
over the door leading to the church of Santa María degli Inno¬
centi, is a good Annunciation by Andrea della Robbia. The interior
contains an altar-piece (covered), the *Adoration of the Magi, by
Domenico Ghirlandaio (1488). On the right side of the court is the
entrance to a small picture-gallery (Piero di Cosimo, etc. ; Relief
of the Madonna by Luca della Robbia). — Opposite the Spedale is
the hall of the Serví di Santa Maria brotherhood, erected by Antonio
da Sangallo the Eider and Baccio d'Agnolo (1518).
The church of the *Santissima Annunziata (Pl. G, H, 3), on
the N.E. side of the piazza, was founded in 1250 on the site of
the Romanesque chuTch of Santa Marta della Pace, and has since
been altered and redecorated by Michelozzo (1444-60) and others.
Michelozzo's handsome pórtico was rebuilt by Caccini in 1601.
The flrát door on the left leads to the oíd Servite monastery and the
cloisters, that in the centre to the church, that on the right to the
chapel of the Pucci, founded in 1300, and restored in 1615.
The Anterior Court is adorned with 'Frescoes by Andrea del Sarto
and others, which are now protected from the weather by a glass colonnade
(opened by the sacristán; 30-50 c). To the left of the entrance to the
church: Adoration of the Shepherds, by Alessio Baldovinetti (1460); In-
vestiture of Filippo Benizzi, founder of the order, by Cosimo Rosselli (1476).
Then to the left follow five 'Frescoes by Andrea del Sarto: San Filippo
clothing the sick (beside it, bust of Andrea, by G. Caccini); Gamblers struck
by lightning while mocking S. Filippo; Cure of a possessed woman; Dead
man raised to life by the corpse of S. Filippo; Boy healed by the saint's
robe. 'Carried away by his feeling for harmony of colour, and charmed
whenever he could realize a vague and vaporous twilight of tone (see es¬
pecially the Death of the Saint), Andrea was unable to combine that ap-
pearance with absolute neutral contrasts .... but the balance was almost
restored by the facility with which he obtained transparence, gay colours,
and smoothness in the melting of tints into each other'. — C. <fc C. — These
paintings were executed by A. del Sarto while still young (ca. 1510); he
appears as a finished master in the 'Frescoes on the other side: "Arrival
of the Magi, executed with a still more running hand (than the following)
but with less chastened sentiment, the figures characterised by a self-
confldent swing (O. & C), and the "Nativity of Mary, painted in 1514 'on
the highest level ever reached in fresco'. In the right foreground of the
former, facing the spectator, is a portrait of Jac. Sansovino, while the