to the Piazza d'Azeglio. FLORENCE. 64. Route. 509
by Jac. da Empoli, Crist. Allori, Franc. Furini, and other artists (1620).
Exit-wall: Madonna and saints, of which Miehael Angelo is said to have
drawn the design.
Room IV. Family pictures, etc.
Room V (chapel). To the left, 472. Madonna on the Steps, abas-relief
in marble, another early work of Miehael Angelo.
'In the Madonna on the Steps the traces of his apprenticeship are still
very evident. The dignified figure of the Madonna, who is nursing the
Child, the flowing drapery, and the corporeal forms recall the powerful
women of Domenico Ghirlandaio; while the technical execution, with the
outlines fading into the background and the gentle raising of the inner
planes, suggests the influence of Donatello.' — Springer.
Opposite, 79. Daniele da Volterra (not Giov. da Bologna), Bronze bust
¡>f Miehael Angelo.
Room VI. Archives of MSS. of Miehael Angelo and clay models and
¡ratographs of the master (to the left 1, and to the right 10, "Models of the
David, p. 521). — In Room VII is some majolica.
From this point the Via de' Macci leads to the N.E. to the
piazza and the church of Sant' Ambrogio (Pl. H, 6). Simple
inscriptions on the pavement of the church indicate the graves of
Cronaca (right), Andr. Verrocchio, and Mino da Fiesole (left). In
the Cappella del Miracolo, to the left in the choir, are a Tabernacle
by Mino da Fiesole (1481) and a large fresco of the Procession of
Corpus Christi, the chief work of Cos. Rosselli (1486; satisfactory
light only in the morning).
The Via Sant' Ambrogio, on the left side of which is a hand¬
some Synagogue (Tempio Israelítico; Pl. H, 5), leads to the Piazza
d'Azeglio (Pl. H, I, 5; omn., see p. 461), with its gardens. — Church
of Santa Maria Maddalena de'Pazzi and Archaeological Museum,
see pp. 516-511.
1. From the Piazza del Duomo to the Piazza dell' Annunziata.
Leaving the Piazza del Duomo (p. 477) by the Via de' Serví
(Pl. F, G, 4), we pass the Palazzo Fiaschi (No. 10), on the right (fine
windows on the groundfloor), and the Palazzo Buturlin (Pl. G, 4;
formerly Pal. Niccolini), on the left (No. 15), with its handsome
court and modern painting. The former was erected by B. Ammanati,
the latter by Domenico, son of Baccio d'Agnolo. We then reach
the Piazza dell' Annunziata to the N.E.
The large block of buildings in the adjacent Via de' Pucci is
the Palazzo Pucci (Pl. F, 4), dating from the 15th cent., but partly
rebuilt in the 16th and 17th by Bart. Ammanati and Falconieri.
In the Via degli Alfani, to the right, a little short of the piazza,
rises the former Camaldulensian convent of Santa María degli
Angioli (Pl. G, 4), founded in 1295, with an unfinished octagonal
Oratory with niches, by Brunelleschi. — Opposite (No. 50) is the
Palazzo Giugni, built by Ammanati in 1560, with a fine portal and
At the left comer of the Piazza dell' Annunziata (Pl. G, 3, 4)