Santa Croce. FLORENCE. 64. Route, 507
and have been extensively restored. In the Cappella Peruzzi Giotto has
portrayed the life of the two St. Johns: (to the left, beginning at the top)
Zacharias at the altar, 'Nativity of the Baptist (with a very fine figure of
Elizabeth), 'Dancing of the Daughter of Herodias; (on the right) Vision of
the Evangelist in Patmos, from the Apocalypse, Resuscitation of Drusiana,
and 'Ascensión of the Evangelist, whose tomb his disciples find empty. —
In the Cappella Bardi (the next), which Mr. Ruskin calis 'the most in¬
teresting and perfect little Gothic chapel in all Italy', Giotto depicts scenes
from the life of St. Francis of Assisi: (to the right, above), Confirmation
of the rules of his order by the Pope, St. Francis before the Sultán
challenging the Magi to the ordeal of fire, St. Francis blessing Assisi on his
death-bed, and 9t. Francis appearing in a visión to the Bishop of Assisi;
(on the left), St. Francis flees from his father's house, He appears to St.
Anthony at Arles, and his "Burial (a masterpiece, distinguished by variety
of character and harmony of composition). On the ceiling are figures re¬
presenting Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience, the three chief virtues of the
order, and the saint in glory. The vaultings above the windows are em¬
bellished with the figures of saints, including the attractive form of
St. Clara. For a farther discussion of the frescoes in this chapel the reader
should turn to Nos. I Si III of Ruskin's 'JIornings in Florence'.
The Choir is adorned with 'Frescoes by Agnolo Gaddi (d. 1396). from
the legend of the Finding of the Cross; on the ceiling the Evangelist
and saints. "
In the 4th Chapel (Capella de' Pucci), adjoining the choir on the left:
Martyrdom of SS. Lawrence and Stephen, frescoes by Bernardo Daddi (1324);
over the altar Madonna with saints, a coloured relief in terracotta, by
Giovanni della Robbia. — The 5tb Chapel (San Silvestro) contains frescoes
by Giottino, Conversión of the Emp. Constantine and Miracles of St. Sylvester;
on the N. wall, above the sarcophagus of Uberto de' Bardi, Christ as Judge
(retouched), with the deceased kneeling before him; to the right, Fresco
of the Entombment.
Left Transept. Above the altar of the central chapel, separated from
the end of the transept by a railing, is a Crucifixión, an early work of
Donatello (executed in competition with Brunelleschi, see p. 531), covered.
— At the córner of the transept and left aisle are the monuments of the
composer L. Cherubini (born at Florence 1760, d. 1842) and the engraver
Raphael Morghen (1753-1833), both by Fantacchiotti. On the opposite pillar
the monument of the celebrated architect León Battista Alberti (1405-72),
erected by the last of his family, a marble group by Bartolini, unfinished.
Left Aisle. -Monument of Carlo Marsuppini (d. 1455), secretary of state,
by Desiderio da Settignano, surpassing the tomb of his predecessor Bruni
(p. 506) in wealth of ornament (east in South Kensington Museum). Model of
a monument to Donatello, by Urbano Lucchesi. Near the entrance, monument
of Galileo Galilei (d. 1642), by G. B. Foggini. Adjacent, fragments of
frescoes (Crucifixión, etc.), of the School of Giotto. On the entrance-wall
is the monument of the savant Gino Capponi (1792-1876), by Ant. Bortone
(1834). — In the middle of the nave, near the choir, the marble tomb of
John Catrick, Bishop of Exeter, who died at Florence in 1419 when on
an embassy from King Henry V. to Pope Martin V.
The First Cloisters, erected by Amolfo di Cambio, are now
usually entered from the Piazza Santa Croce, through a gate to the
right of the church. They contain the tomb of Gastone della Torre,
patriarch of Aquileia (d. at Florence in 1317), oíd monuments of
the Alamanni, Pazzi, and other families, many coats-of-arms, and
modern tombs. In the centre, God the Father, a statue \>y Bandinelli.
Opposite the entrance from the Piazza is the *Cafpella of the
Pazzi (p. 468), one of the flrst creations of modern architecture,
erected by Brunelleschi about 1430, and restored in 1899-1900.
The vestibule has a barrel-vaulted roof, supported by columns