454 Route 63. PISTOIA. From Pisa
At the W. end of the Via Sant' Andrea lies the spacious Piazza
Giuseppe Mazzini (Pl. A, B, 2), on the left side of which rises the
monastic church of —
San Francesco al Prato, an Italian-Gothic edifice of 1294, with
remarkable frescoes by pupils of Giotto (14th cent.).
In the Nave fragmentar}- frescoes have recently been discovered beside
aeveral of the allar8. — In the Choir: Life of St. Francia of Aasisi, in a
series of free reproductions of Giotto's frescoes at Assisi (much damaged).
Chapel to the left of the high-altar: Apotheosis of St. Augustine, Marriage
of the Virgin, St. Paul's visión on the way to Damascua, Death of St. Clara.
lat chapel to the right of the high-altar, various freacoea of the Franciscan
legenda (aadly injured); 2nd chapel, Miracles and martyrdom of San Donnino.
The former Chapter House also contain frescoes ofScriptural subjects
and of scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assiai and a few antiquities:
4. Casi of the city arma (p. 453), by Verrocchio; 16-21. Decorated panels
from the oíd pulpit of the cathedral (p. 452); 44. Relief of the Resurrec-
tion, by Ben. BugVoni (1490). The pillar with Lombard ornamentation
formerly stood in front of the church of San Pietro (see below).
We return through the Via Bozzi and the Via Curtatone (with
the Pal. Cancellieri on the right, No. 945), and proceed by the Via
della Madonna to the right to the church of the —
♦Madonna dolí' Umiltá (Pl. B, 3), with an unfinished facade,
erected in 1494-1509 by Ventura Vitoni, a pupil of Bramante. A
fine vestibule, with barrel-vaulting on each side of a central dome
(as in the Cappella de' Pazzi, p. 507), leads to the handsome oc¬
tagonal interior, with its graceful Corinthian wall-pilasters. The
dome is by Vasari.
In the Corso Umberto Primo, in the S. part of the city, is —
San Domenico (Pl. B, C, 3), a monastic church erected in 1380.
Interior (closed after 8 a.m.; ring at the house on the right). The
frescoes at the 2mi altar on the right (Madonna and Child) and the 2nd
altar to the left (Crucifixión, with the Virgin, St. John, and St. Thomas
Aquinas) are by Fra Paolino da Pistoia. Beween the 4th and 6th Altara on
the left, monument of the jurist Filippo Lazzari (d. 1412), by Bern. and Ant.
Rossellino (1462-68). — Right Transept: Cappella Rospigliosi, with the miracle
of S. Cario Borromeo, by Jacopo da Empoli, and two tombs (1628 and 1650)
attributed to Bernini.
Farther on in the same street, to the left, is the church of
San Paolo (Pl. 3; C, 3), with a Gothic facade. — In this neigh-
bourhood is the church of San Pieteo (Pl. 4; D, 3), with an
early-Tuscan exterior (unfinished), in which as late as the 16th
cent, the mystic marriage of the Bishop of Pistoia and the Abbess of
the Benedictine convent was celebrated. The interior has been
modernized. — The Viale dell' Arcadia (Pl. D, 1-3) commands a
beautiful view of the city and the Apennines.
The Villa Puccini, V/t M. to the N. of Pistoia, has beautiful gardens
and sculptures by Pampaloni and others. — The church of GroppoU 5 M.
to the W. of Pistoia, contains a Romanesque pulpit of 1194 wiíh stiff'
oíd reliefa. '
The Railway to Floebnce intersects a rich tract at the base
of the Apennines. 46y2M. Móntale-Agitana. On the left the pictur-