to Florence. BAGNI DI LUCCA. 63. Route, 449
ball rooma ; and the Post Office. Good furnished apartments, carriages, and
donkeys may be had, but íhe shops are poor. —Adjoining íhe Hotel Pagnini,
on the Lima, is the royal Casino Ridotti, built in 1840.
Beautiful avenues ascend gradually from Ponte a Serraglio to the E. to
(1 M.) Villa (ca. 490 ft.; "HSt. Vittoria; "Hit. Royal Continental & du Pare,
pena. 6-8 fr.; Hit. du Pavillon; H6t. Queen Victoria, all with gardena; English
chemist), where are the best and quietest apartments (pleasautest on the
river-side of the main street), the English Church (services in summer at 8,
10.30, Si 3 ; chaplain from Pisa, p. 438), and a Casino (with reading and ball-
rooms, concerts, etc.), and to (3/t M.) Bagni Caldi ("Grand Hotel des Thermes,
formerly the cháteau of the Grand-Duke of Tuacany, pena. 6-8 fr.). The
mud-batha of Bagni,Caldi are efficacious in rheumatism and gout; and íhere
is a groíío wiíh a natural vapour bath. The freedom from dust, glare, and
excessive heat makes íhia a delightful aummer-resort. — To íhe baths of
Lucca belong also the establishments of Bernabb (named afler an inhabitant
of Pisíoia cured here in íhe 16th cent.), Docce Basse, and San Giovanni.
The valley of the Lima is cool and well-shaded, chiefly with chest-
nul-írees, affording pleasaní walks. Only the paths between Ponte a
Serraglio and Villa and Bagni Caldi are provided with benches. There
are footpaths on both banks of the stream aa far as the suspension-bridge
at Fornoli. Beautiful excursions may also be taken among the mountains,
such as to the village of Lugliano, to Benabbio (with an oíd casi le), and
lo the top of the Monte Prato Fiorito (4260 ft.). — Boscolungo (p. 408) may
be reached henee in about 6 hrs. (carr. ca. 30, wiíh two horses 40-45 fr.,
including an extra horse up the hill) by following the Lima valley viá
Palleggio and Popiglio; ío íhe right between these two villages lies Lucchio,
a former frontier fortress of Lucca, at íhe foot of abrupt rocks.
About 572 M. to tbe W. of Lucca, on the S. verge of the Apuan Alps,
lies the Certosu di Farneta, since 1903 the mother-house of the Carlhusian
order expelled from France. — For excursions in the Apuan Alps, see R. 21.
Railway from Lucca to (1472 M.) Viareggio, see p. 123.
The Railway to Pistoia at first traverses the plain to the E.,
then it turns to the N. at (23 M.) Altopascio and runs through a
fertile undulating district to the broad plain of the Pescia. Fine
view, on the left, of the Alpi Apuane; in the distance to the right
rise the hills of Montecatini and Monsummano. — 26 M. Moniecarlo,
the station for the beautifully situated village (535 ft.) on the ridge
to the left, with an oíd castle.
29 M. Pescia (200 ft.; Posta), a town with 12,200 inhab., lies
il¡2 M. to the N., on the river of that ñame, in a beautiful district,
with silk and paper manufactories. The Cathedral (restored in 1693)
has remains of a facade of 1306, a 13th cent, pulpit, and the fine
monument of Baldassare Turini (d. 1540) by Raffaello da Monte¬
lupo. In the churches of San Francesco and Sant' Antonio are frescoes
of the school of Giotto. — We cross the Pescia and skirt the S. base
of the Apennines.
33V2 M. Bagni di Montecatini. — Hotels. "Grand Hotel La Pace,
with lift and steam-heating, R. from 4, B. IVa, déj. 372, D. 5-6, pens. from
11 fr.; "Locanda Maggiore; *Alb. Scannavini; Gr. Hót. Terminus; Alb.
d'Edropa; Hót. de la Ville et Pens. Anglaise, well spoken of; Corona
d'Italia; Alb. delle Terme; Alb. Nizza, and many others. — Numerous
Bagni di Montecatini (100 ft.), a frequented health-resort in the
fertile valley of the Nievole, with thermal baths and springs (season
Baedekek. Italy I. 13th Edit. 29