448 Route 63. LUCCA. From Pisa
54 arches each, are still visible on the outside; length 135 yds.,
width 105 yds.; the arena (the present market-place) 87y2 by 58 yds.
To the E. of the Amphitheatre ia situated the church of San Pietro
Somaldi (Pl. D, E, 2), founded during the Lombard period, restored m tbe
13th cent., and modernized in the interior in the 19th century. —Farther
on is San Francesco (Pl E, 2), erected in 1228, containing tne monuments
of the poet Giov. Guidiccioni (1500-41) and of the celebrated Castruccio
Castracani (d. 1328; p. 442). It is now used as a military magazme.
To the S. of the Amphitheatre, Via Guinigi No. 13, at the córner
of the Via Sant' Andrea, stands the «Palazzo Guinigi (Pl. D, 2),
an Italian Gothic structure of brick erected about 1400, with a high
tower. No. 16, opposite, is a Palazzo Guinigi also.
The Palazzo Mazzarosa (Pl. 21; D, 3), Via Santa Cro<;e 26, con¬
tains some good paintings. In the court is a relief by Biduinus
(Christ on the Mt. of Olives).
The church of Santa Maria Forisportam (Pl. E, 3), founded in
the 8th cent. (?) and rebuilt in the 12th, contains antique columns.
At the 4th altar on the right is a St. Lucy, by Guercino. — The oíd
Porta San Gervasio (Pl. E, 3), rising with its two massive round
towers at the end of the Via Santa Croce, is a relie of the second
town-wall (13th cent.).
A spare hour should be devoted to a *Walx on the Rampaets
(22/3 M. long), which, especially on the W. and N. sides, afford a
succession of pleasant views of the town with its numerous towers,
and of the beautiful mountains in the vicinity (Monti Pisani, Alpi
Apuane, Apennines). In the grounds on the S.W. side is a monu¬
ment of Charles III. of Spain (Pl. 13 ; B, 3, 4), erected in 1822. On
the southernmost bastión, now named Piazzale Vittorio Emanuele
Secondo, is a pleasant café.
The Environs of Lucca are beautiful and contain many pleasant villas,
but in aummer the country is hot and deatitute of shade.
The traveller ahould visit the Villa di Marlia, 3 M. to the N.E., with
its beautiful grounds, fine points of view, and fountains, resembling Marly
near Paris (whence the ñame), and with a chapel containing oíd paint¬
ings, etc. The road thither leads through the Porta Santa Maria (Pl. D, 1),
and then diverges to the right from that to the Baths of Lucca. — Ex¬
cursión to the Monti Pisani, see p. 437.
From Locca to the Bagni di Lucca , 15 M., -railway in 1 hr. (fares
1 fr. 80, 90 c). The line aaceuds the valley of the Serchio. 6 M. Ponte
a Mariano (115 ft.), opposite the high-lying village of Mariano. Charming
hill-country. Above (1272 M.) Borgo a Mozzano (330 ft.) is the Ponte della
Maddalena or Ponte del Diavolo, which is said to have been built in 1322
by Castruccio. — 16M. Bagni di Lucca, the terminus, is situated a little above
the junctioa of the Lima and the Serchio.
The Eagni di Lucca (season, May lst to Sept 15th), which were known
as early as the lOth cent, under the ñame of the 'Baths of Corsena', with
springs containing salt and sulphur and varying in temperature from 98°
to 130° Fahr., consist of several different villages in the valley of the Lima.
They are much frequented by English and American visitors. Ponte a
Serraglio (ca. 410 ft.), the chief of these villages, is picturesquely situated
on the bend of the rivulet. Here are "Pagnini's Hotel d'Europe el d'Amérique,
"Pera's Hotel New York, and the Grand Hotel des Bains de Lucques with
little difference in their charge3 (cheaper in Sept.); the Cafés Posta and
Italia, in the Piazza del Ponte; the besti?aíA»; a Casino, with billiard and