to Florence. LUCCA. 63. Route. 447
valore or Misericordia (Pl. 11; C, 2), dating from the 11-12'th cent.,
with ancient sculptures on the portáis; over the S. side-dooris a
relief of St. Nicholas, by Bidninus (p. 433).
Beside the adjacent church of Fanfa Míria Ccrt'-orlandiDi, in the streel
of that ñame, is the Biblioteca Governaliva (Pl. 2; C, 2), which posses'ea
some interesting MSS. (e.g. Latin poems by Tasfo) and early printed works.
To the left of the Reale Liceo is the 16th cent. Palazzo Controni-Pfanner
(Pl. C, 2), with a handsome staircase.
On the N. side of the town is situated —
*San Frediano (Pl. D, 2), said to have been originally dedi-
cated to San Vincenzo by St. Frigidianus, an Irishman, who was
Bishop of Lucca in 560-78. In the 7th cent., however, it became
the church of a monastery founded by the Lombard kings Bertharic
and Cunibert. In 1112-47 it was rebuilt in the Romanesque style.
The exterior deviates from the Tuscan-Romanesque style in having
vertical bandg and eolonnades with straight architraves. The mosaic
of the 12th cent. (Christ enthroned, with the Apostles) with which
the facade is adorned was restored in 1829.
Interior. The Nave was originally flanked with double aislea, the
outer of which have been converted into chapéis. Eight of the 22 columns
are antique. — On the entrance-wall are two trescoes: to the left, Madonna
and aaints, by Amico Asperlini, a pupil of Fr. Francia; on the right,Viai-
talion, by Rid. Ghirlandaio (injured).
Left Aisle. The Cappella di Sant' Agostino (2nd) confaina two fine
frescoes by Amico Aspertini (restored in 1831). On the ceiling God the
Father, surrounded by angels, prophets, and aibyla; in the lunette to the
left the Entombment; below it, to the left, an image of Christ found in
the sea (Volto Santo, p. 444), drawn by íwo oxen, ío íhe righi, St. Augustine
baptised by St. Ambrosiua at Milán. In íhe luneííe on íhe wall, on íhe
right, St. Auguatine inatructing his pupils, and presenting them with the
rules of his order; below, to the lefí, íhe Nativity and Adoration of the
Magi; on íhe righi, San Frigidiano miraculously checking an inundalion
of íhe aea. — In the Cappella del Santo Sacramento (4th), a marble
aliar with a ^Madonna and four saints in relief by Jacobus mugistri Petri
de Senis (Jacopo della Quercia); above, four prophets in high relief; below,
low reliefa of Martyrdoms, a Pietá, etc. (1422). Opposite are the tomb-
atonea (damaged) of Federigo Trenta, founder of the chapel, and his wife,
by the same artial (1416).
Right Aisle. In froní ia the ancient font, with stiff reliefs (copied
from an early-Christian ivory pyx), according to a doubíful inscription by
Robertus (1151); by the wall is the more modern font by Niccolb Civitali.
The 2nd chapel contains the tomb of St. Zita, the patroness of Lucca,
mentioned by Dante (Inferno, xxi. 38). In the 5th chapel is a painted
relief of the Death and Assumption of the Virgin, by Matteo Civitali
the Younger, and a fine Coronation of Mary, by Francesco Francia (both
We now cross the Piazza San Frediano, which adjoins the
church on the E., and reach the Piazza del Mércalo, or vegetable-
maTket. The Palazzo Nobili, No. 14 in the Piazza S. Frediano
(left side), contains a flne Madonna by Giulio Romano, with the
features of Raphael's Fornarina in the Pal. Barberini at Rome. —
The houses enclosing the market stand on the foundations of a Román
Amphitheatre (Pl. D, 2) dating from the end of the flrst or begin¬
ning of the second Christian century. Two series of the arcades, of