446 Route 63. LUCCA. From Pisa
1279 but was remodelled in 1635 by Vincenzo Buonamici. At the
back of the high-altar are the remains of the monument of St. Ro-
manus, with a Pietá above, and a recumbent figure of the saint
below, with painted armour, by Matteo Civitali (1490).
Near the Via Vittorio Emanuele, not far from the Piazza Napo¬
leone, is the church of Sant1 Alessandro (Pl. 6; C, 3), of the llth
cent., with fine antique columns.
The Palazzo Mansi (Pl. C, 2), Via Galli-Tassi 17, a building
of the 17th cent., contains a valuable Picture Gallery, consisting
principally of Dutch paintings, inherited from the Van Diemen
family. Open daily (fee i/2-l fr.).
From the veafibule we enter (to the left) a glass-roofed Saloon. To
the left, R. van Vries, Silvan scene; C. J. van der Laemen, Seven genre
and conversation-piecas (1641); Frans Snyders, "Fruil and game dealer
(figures of íhe achool of Rubens); Ferd. Bol, "Abraham's sacrifice, the chief
work of íhe Rembrandtesque period of the artist, influenced by Rem-
brandl'a painting of the same subject (now in St. Peteraburg); Ad. Pynacker
Dutch farm and ferry. — H. Averkamp (not Brueghel), Winter-pleasures:
Jac. Jordaens, Adoration of tbe Shepherds; P. Claesz, Still-life. — Jan
Weenix, "Spoils of the chase; Nic. Poussin, Four architectural pieces, with
accessories; P. Claesz, The breakfast-table (1653); Lucas van Leyden (?),
Adoralion of the Magi; Mélch. d'Hondecoeler, 'Cock and turkey fighting;
A. van Dyck (?), Holy Family; above, four large battle-pieccs by /. van
Huchtenburgh. — G. Terburg (?), Two portraits of the Van Diemen family;
Rubens, Satyr and shepherdesa (school-piece). — Fr. Francia, Madonna;
Domenichino, Martyrdom of St. Agatha; Jac. Ochtervelt, Converaation-piece;
over the door, Fr. Snyders, Still-life.
Vestibule. P. Brueghel the íounger, Four rustic fetes; Mathys Naiveu,
Cherry-seller; G. Poussin (Dughel), Diana and Acteeon.
III. Room. To the left: Rembrundt (?), Landscape; Perin del Vugu,
Holy Family; H. Bles (?), Temptation of St. Anthony. — Sea-piecea by
J. Lingelbuch, A. Smit, J. Blankerhof (not Bakhuysen), etc.
IV. Room. Back-wall: /. Vermeyen, Three scenes from the campaigns of
Charles V.: Capture of Tunis, Capture of Rome, Battle of Pavia. Above,
Gysbert d'Hondecoeler, Peacock and poultry.
From the Piazza Napoleone (p. 443) we proceed to the N.,
through the busy Via Nazionale, to the Piazza San Michele (Pl. C, 3),
the ancient Forum, in which rise a statue of Fran. Burlamacchi
(d. 1548; p. 469) and the ancient church of San Michele, founded
before 795, but altered and restored in the 12th, 14th, and 16th
centuries. The over-decorated facade, rising high above the nave,
with representations from the mediaval bestiaries, was restored
about 1200, and in great part rebuilt in the 19th century. The figure
of the archangel at the top is modern. The row of columns on the
S. side was added in 1377. Tbe statue of the Madonna at the
córner is by Civitali. The left transept contains an altar-piece by
Filippino Lippi (SS. Rochus, Sebastian, Jerome, and Helen) and a
relief of the Madonna by Raffaello da Montelupo (1622).
The Palazzo Phetobio (Pl. 19; C, 3), in the early-Renaissance
style (built after 1492), is situated on the S. side of the Piazza
S. Michele. In the loggia is a statue of Matteo Civitali (1893).
The Via Calderia leads henee to the N. to the Chiesa del Sal-