444 Route 63. LUCCA. From Pisa
The beaufiful aíained glasa in the Choir is by Pandolfo di Ugolino da
Pisa (1485). — To the left of the choir íhe Altar of Libertt, which
Lucca recovered in 1369 from Emp. Charlea IV. (inacripíion: Christo libera-
tori atque divis tutelaribus), wiíh a Resurrection by Giov. da Bologna (1579).
In the following Cappella del Santuario (to the left; closed), dating
from 1629-37, a "Madonna with SS. Stephen and John the Baptist and a
beautiful ángel with a muaical instrnment, by Fra Bartolomeo (1509; in
excellenl preservalion): 'a noble picture this, full of gentle elegance,
Leonardesque in science and in execuíion, and graced wiíh the prettiesí
finesses of the brush, bathed in a warm and airy vapour, and firm of
outline and touch' (C. & C).
The Left Transept contains the Monument of Ilaria del Carretío
(d. 1405), second wife of Paolo Guinigi, by Jacopo della Quercia (1406), one
of íhe earlieat works of the Renaissance; the noble figure of íhe young
woman, resting on a sarcophagua, is aurrounded by 'putti' with a garland
In the Left Aisle ia II Tempietto, a amall octagonal chapel of marble,
partially gilded, erected in 1484 by M. Civitali, and containing the Volto
Santo di Lucca (p. 447), an ancient crucifix in cedar-wood, aaid by fradi-
íion to have been made by St. Nicodemus, and ío have been fransferred in
a miraculoua manner from the Holy Land to Lucca in 782. The embroid-
ery on íhe red curtain is a faithful copy of the sacred relie behind it. In
front of the entrance is suspended a candelabrum of aolid gold, 26 lbs. in
weight, presented by the inhabitants of Lucca in 1836, when the approach
of the cholera was dreaded. On the opposite aide a statue of St. Sebas¬
tian, also by Civitali. On the pavement cióse by, inlaid work of coloured
stones, repreaenting Solomon's Judgment.
On the Entrance Wall, Descent from íhe Croas, and St. Nicodemua
carving the Volto Santo, frescoea by Cosimo Rosselli.
The cathedral treasury is preserved in the Amministrazione del
Duomo, on the N. side of the church, Piazza Antelminelli 2. It
includes the so-called Croce dei Pisani, in silver-gilt (14th cent.),
a Gothic episcopal staff, a Gothic leather casket, etc.
Behind the cathedral, and connected with it by a passage, is the
Archiepiscopal Palace (Arcivescovado; Pl. 1, D 3), altered in the
18th cent., the court of which commands a good view of the cathe-
The Archiepiscopal Library contains 20 MSS. and 400 rare editions.
In íhe Archives are many documenta dating from before 1000. — The
Chapler Library (Bibliotheca Feliniana) is rich in mediseval MSS.
The elegant Gothic Chapel of Santa Maria della Rosa (Pl. 9 ;
D, 3), in the neighbouring Via della Rosa, dates from 1309, but the
interior was entirely modernized in 1609.
We return to the Piazza San Martino. The Romanesque build¬
ing (partly restored) next the campanile of the cathedral is now
the Monte di Pieta. — Opposite, on the N. side of the piazza, rises
the Palazzo Bernardi-Micheletti (Pl. 20), by Bart. Ammanati.
San Giovanni (Pl. D, 3), to the left of the last, is a basilica of
the 12th cent., with aisles and transept. The facade is modern with
the exception of the portal, over which there is a relief of the
Madonna with the Apostles, of tho 12th century.
In the Interior the fíat coffered ceiling ia supported by ten columna
of which the shafts and aome of the capitala are ancient. __Adioinine
the left tranaept is a venerable Baptistery, with a Gothic vaulted roof (14th
cent.). The remains of a font of the 12th cení., more íhan 6 ft. below
the present level of the pavement, were exhumed in the centre in 1887