440 Route 62. EMPOLI. From Pisa
torium (tramway No. 3, p. 438). — The sulphur-baths of La Puzzolenta
lie 174 M. farther on (carriage 4 fr.).
A pleaaant Drive may be taken by Salviano to tbe S.W. to the Valle
Benedettu and Colognole, whence the town is supplied with drinking-water.
62. From (Genoa) Pisa to Florence viá Empoli.
48 M. Railwat in 13/4-374 hrs. (farea 9 fr. 5, 6 fr. 35, 4 fr. 10 c.; ex-
preas 10 fr., 7 fr., 4 fr. 55c).
Pisa, see p. 426. — The railway traverses a beautiful and fer¬
tile district. To the left are the Monti Pisani, with the Verruca
(p. 437). — 4V2 M- Navacchio (tramway to Calci, see p. 437). —
772 M. Caseína on the Arno, where on the festival of San Vittorio,
28th July, 1364, the Pisans were defeated by the Florentines. The
Apennines are visible on the left. We cross the Amo Canal (p. 438).
12 M. Pontedera (45 ft.), a small town with 9600 inhab., at
the confluence of the Era and Arno, where the road through the
beautiful valley of the Era to Volterra diverges (see Baedeker's
Central Italy). There is also a steam-tramway between Pisa and
23 M. San Miniato al Tedesco ; on the hill to the right lies the
small town of that ñame, once a stronghold of Frederick Barbarossa,
and appointed by Emp. Frederick II. in 1226 seat of the imperial
governor of Túsela. The castle of the latter (Rocca), built about
1236, is now represented by a single massive watch-tower. The
Cathedral, dating from the 12th cent., was remodelled in 1488 and
modernized in 1775. The facade is profusely adorned with plaques
of majolica (bacini). Well-preserved campanile.
29 M. Empoli (78 ft.; Alb. il Solé; Alb. Giappone, R. 11/2 fr-; Aquila
Ñera; Rail. Restaurant, unpretending), a town with 7000 inhab.
and the seat of a bishop, lies in a fertile district on the Arno.
The street from the station leads to the wide cross-street Via
Giuseppe del Papa, at the end of which, on the right side of
the principal Piazza, is the early-Renaissance church of Santa Maria
di Fuori, with a dome. The nave is surrounded by a colonnade;
the interior contains terracottas by the Della Robbia. —We then
retrace our steps along the same street, and proceed through a lañe
to the left to the church of Santa Maria degli Scolópi, with the
Cappella della Misericordia (key at the cobbler's beside the church,
to the right), in which there is a marble group of the Annunciation
by Bernardo Rossellino (1447).
A cross-street diverging to the right from the Via Giuseppe, still
farther on, leads to the Cathedeal (Collegiata), with a Tuscan-
Romanesque facade, the lower part of which dates from 1093.
Interior. To the left of the high-altar is a small museum; to the right
a marble statue of *St. Sebasfian, by Antonio Rossellino (1457), in a rich
wooden frame adorned wiíh íwo angela by Botticini, and two kneeling angela
by Rossellino; above, God the Father by one of the Dellu Robbia. Above
the entrance, íwo reliefa of íhe Madonna by Mino da Fíesele and one of