436 Route 60. PISA. Lungarno (left bank).
The mosaic pavement in -Son Pierino (Pl. E, 4; 12-13th cent.),
near the Piazza Cairoli, is Romanesque, and some of the columns are
antique. — The narrow Via delle Belle Torri, leading to the E. from
the Piazza Cairoli, still preserves a distinctly mediaeval impress.
The Lungarno Mediceo leads past the Palazzo Lanfranchi (now
Toscanelli), erroneously attributed to Miehael Angelo, and occupied
by Lord Byron in 1822, and the Piazza Mazzini ^Pl. F, 4, 5) to the
Porta alie Piagge (see below).
On the Left Bank of the Ae.no, near the Porta a Mare, at the
W. end of the town, is situated —
*San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno (Pl. B, 6), a basilica with nave
and aisles, dating in its present form from the 13th cent., with a
flne facade embellished with three rows of columns, the flnest at
Pisa after that of the cathedral. The interior is adorned with badly
preserved frescoes of 1400.
Farther to the E., beyond the Ponte Solferino (p. 428), rises —
Santa Maria della Spina (Pl. C, 5), so called from a fragment
of the veritable 'Crown of Thorns' once preserved here, an elegant
little church in the French Gothic style, erected in 1230 for sailors
about to go to sea. It was enlarged in 1323 and adorned with
sculptures by pupils of Giovanni Pisano and by Niño, the son of
Andrea Pisano. The interior is plain (key kept at the opposite
house; fee 30 c). The church was restored in 1872 and raised by 3 ft.
In the Lungarno Gambacorti, near the Ponte di Mezzo (see
p. 428; Pl. 1), 4), are situated the Loggia de' Banchi (Pl. 4; D, 5),
erected in 1605 by Buontalenti, and the handsome Palazzo del
Comune (Pl. 5,D5; formerly Gambacorti). The latter contains
the Archivio di Stato, or the city-archives, which comprise abont
16,000 parchment charters (one granted by Frederick Barbarossa in
1162, one by Richard Coeur-de-Lion in 1192, and others of very
early date); entrance at Via Pietro Toselli 2; open 10-4.
The octagonal church of Santo Sepolcro (Pl. E, 5), of the 12th
cent., is now largely restored. — Atthe end of the Lungarno Galileo,
opposite the Ponte alia Fortezza (Pl. F, 5), is a passage leading to
the house (Pl. F, 6) in which the astronomer Galileo Galilei (1564-
1642) was born.
The church oí San Domenico (Pl. D, 7), at the S. end of the
Via Vitt. Emanuele, which leads from the Ponte di Mezzo to the
railway-station, contains an altar-piece ^Crucifixión) by Benozzo
Gozzoli. The suppressed monastery adjoining has several frescoes
by the same master.
Environs. Outside the Porta alie Piagge (see above) the right bank of
the Arno is bordered by the pretty .gardens of the Viale Umberto Primo
Pretty view (to the left) of the Monti Pisani (p. 437). — Outside the Porta
Nuova (Pl. A, B, 1, 2), between the Maltraverso Canal and the right bank
of the Arno, about 3 M. to theW., is situated the Cascine Vecchie di San