Piazza dei Cavalieri. PISA. 60. Route. 433
of the 12íh century. — III. Román sarcophagus-relief wiíh huníing-scenes. —
V. Early-Christian sarcophagus with a representaíion of íhe Good Shepherd.
— VI. Román sarcophagua, on which are placed statuettes of the Pisan
School (14th cent.). — VIII. Fragment of a sarcophagus with Baccha¬
nalian representation. — 23. Emblems of the Evangelists (13th cent.). —
Towards the entrance: 27. Unfinished staíuette of the Virgin, of the school
of Giov. Pisano. — Monument of the oculist Andrea Vacca (d. 1826) by
Thorvaldsen: Tobias curing hia father'a blindness. — Opposite, LIV. Imi-
tation of a Román sarcophagus with lions, by Biduinus (12th cent.). — To
the left: 32. Architrave with Chrisí and the emblema of the Evangelists,
by Bonusumicns (12th cení.). — CC. Monumenl of the author Franc. Al-
garotti (d. 1764), erected by order of Frederick íhe Great. — In the garden
belween the arcadea are two ancient well-heada.
A viait ío íhe Campo Santo by moonlighí is very impressive (notice
must be previously given to the custodian).
The hurried traveller will not devote much time to the other
works of art at Pisa, but he will be rewarded by taking a short
walk through the town in order to obtain an idea of the extent to
which building enterprise was carried at Pisa in the middle ages.
Following the Via dell' Arcivescovado to theE. from the Piazza
del Duomo, and taking the Via della Faggiola, on the right, we
reach the Romanesque church of San Sisto (Pl. C, 3), founded by
the Pisans in 1089. It contains a number of ancient columns of
marble and granite. The church was frequently used as a place of
assembly by the Great Council of Pisa.
The central part of ancient Pisa, and the forum of the republic,
is the Piazza DEr Cavalibki (Pl. D, 3), formerly Piazza degli An-
ziani, a few yards to the E. of San Sisto. In this piazza, which was
remodelled in the 16th and 17th centuries, rises —
Santo Stefano ai Cavalieri, the church of the knights of the Order
of St. Stephen (founded in 1561), built in 1565-96 from designs by
Vasari; facade designed by Buontalenti. It contains Turkish trophies
on the right and left of the door, and ceiling-paintings of the battle
of Lepanto (1571) and other victories over the Turks, by Cristofano
Allori, Jacopo da Empoli, and others. At the second altar to the
left is a Nativity by Alessandro Allori (1564). Behind the high-
altar is a gilded copper bust of St. Lussorius, by Donatello (ca. 1429).
The Palazzo Conventuale dei Cavalieri, adjoining the church
on the left, altered by Vasari in 1560, is now a school; above the
windows are busts of six masters of the order. In front of the build¬
ing a marble Statue of Grand-Duke Cosimo I., designed by Giov.
da Bologna and executed by Pietro Francavilla (1596). ^Beside it
once stood (down to 1655) the ill-famed 'Tower of Hunger', pro¬
perly Torre dei Gualandi alie Sette Vie, in which the Ghibelline
Archbp. Ruggieri degli TJhaldini caused the Guelph Count Ugoliuo
della Gherardesca with his sons and nephews to be starved to death
in 1288, as described by Dante in the 33rd canto of his Inferno.
On the right, in the Via San Frediano, a little to the S., is
the Romanesque church of San Frediano (Pl. D, 3; 12th cent,),
with ancient columns in the interior, as important as San Pierino