Baptistery. i'ISA. 60 Route. 429
Gates, destroyed in the flre of 1595, were Teplaced in 1606 by the
present doors, with representations of Scriptural subjects, executed
by Giov. Caccini, Pietro Francavilla, Pietro Tacca, and others. The
only one of the oíd doors now existing, by Bonannus of Pisa (1180),
representing 24 scenes from Scripture history, is in the Crociera di
San Ranieri, or S. transept. The choir is also imposing. By the
principal facade is the sarcophagus of Busketus (p. 423), with a
The Interior (usually entered by the lasí-meniioned door on the E.
side, opposite the Campanile) ia borne by 68 ancient Román and Greek
columns captured by the Pisana in war. (The capitals are now covered
with stucco.) The nave has a fíat coffered Renaissance ceiling, richly
gilded, of a date subsequent to íhe fire; íhe aisles are vaulted, and above
them run triforia which cross the transepí lo the choir.
Nave. Most of the tombstones formerly here have been removed to the
Campo Santo. A few still remain by the W. Wall, near the principal
entrance, among them that of Archb. Rinuccini (d. 1582), by Pietro Tacca,
to the left, and that of Archb. Giuliano de' Medici (d. 1660), to the right.
The large altar-pieces are by Andrea del Sarto (Madonna and saints, at the
3rd altar on the right; injured), Allori, Pussignano, Salimbeni, and other
masters of the 16th cent.; the intervening pictures are of the 17th and
18th centuries. The stalls incorpórate some remains of the upper parts
of the stalls injured by the fire of 1595, including three panels with
half-lengths of prophets, by Giuliano da Maiano (ca. 1475). — To the left
in the nave, opposite the pulpit, is a beautiful inlaid episcopal throne,
by Giov. Batt. del Cervelliera, with rjpresentations of the Adoration of the
Magi, etc. The beautiful bronze lamp which hanga in the nave was
designed by Battista Lorenzi oí Florence (1587). Ita swaying is said ío
have firsl suggested to Galileo the idea of the pendulum. On the last
pillar of the nave on the right, St. Agnes, by Andrea del Sarto. Opposite
is a Madonna by Perin del Vugu.
Right Transept: lst altar on the right, Madonna, by Perin del Vaga and
Sogliani. At the end is the gorgeous Cappella di San Ranieri (see above),
which contains the sarcophagus of the saint by Foggini and a freely restored
mosaic of the Madonna in íhe mandorla, by a Follower of Cimabue; the
relief on the niche and the statues by Francesco Mosca (about 1600). The
basin for holy water at the entrance ia by Girol. Rossimino (1518).
Choir. The choir-screens are elegant Renaissance works. The two
angels in bronze on the right and left are by Giovanni da Bologna. The
Renaissance choir-stalls, with apostles, landscapes, and animáis, were
carved by Dom. di Marioito and others (1478-1515). The high-altar, over-
laden with marble and lapis lazuli, dating (rom 1774, was restored in 1825.
Above it, Christ on the Cross, by Giovanni da Bologna. Behind it is a
lectern, by Matteo Civitali. — The mosaics in íhe dome (Christ and St. John)
are by Cimabue (1302); the figure of the Virgin was added in 1321. Of
the paintings in the choir, SS. Margaret and Catharine on the right in
front of the high-altar, and SS. Peter and John on the left, by And. del Sarto,
are worthy of inspection; beyond the high-altar, "Abraham's Sacrifice
(1541), and Entombment by Sodoma: the four Evangelists by Beccafumi. —
The sacristy contains a fine ivory Madonna by Giov. Pisano.
Left Transept. Over the Cappella del Santissimo Sacramento, the
Annunciation in mosaic by a Follower of Cimabue (modernized). The altar,
richly decorated with silver, is.by Foggini; behind it, Adam and Eve, a
bas-relief by Mosca, by whom also the other statues w_ere executed.
The *Baptistery (Battistero), begun in 1153 by Diotisalvi, but
according to the inscriptions not completed till 1278, and with
Gothic additions of the 14th cent., is also entirely of marble. It is
a beautiful circular structure (100 ft. in diameter), surrounded by