BORGO SAN LORENZO. 59. Route. 421
flrst floor of which is the Pinacoteca, with some good paintings,
chiefly by artists of the Romagna, a few sculptures, and some fine
majolica. The sculptures include a colossal group of the Virgin and
the two SS. John, by Alf. Lombardi, a wooden statue of St. Jerome,
by Donatello, and a marble bust of John the Baptist, probably by
Desiderio da Settignano.
From Faenza to Rimini and Ancana, see Baedeker's Central Italy.
The Railwat toFlokbnce describes a wide curve round Faenza,
and by means of a short tunnel passes from the plain into the broad
valley of the Lamone (p. 420), which it continúes to ascend, fre¬
quently crossing the stream, to the ridge of the Apennines.
39l/2 M. Brisighella (376 ft.), a pleasant town with 5600 inhab.,
situated, with its pretty villas, on the left bank of the river on
a mountain - slope crowned with a castle. The Pieve del Todel
(8th cent.) contains Román columns.
At (53 M.) Marradi (1075 ft.; Locanda il Lamone) the moun¬
tains approach nearer to each other. Between this point and Borgo
San Lorenzo we traverse 32 tunnels. On the conical mountain-peak
to the right is a ruined castle. 56 M. Fantino-Palazzuolo.
Beyond (59 M.) Crespino we enter the main tunnel of the line
(2'/2 M. long ; 5 min. transit), which pierces the ridge of the Apen¬
nines beneath the Poggio Allocchi (3345 ft.). The highest point of
the line (1895 ft.) is reached in its middle. The line now rapidly
descends and the long Monzagnano Tunnel (li/4 M.) brings us to
the narrow, mountain-enclosed valley of the Rozzolo, which we soon
quit by another series of tunnels to enter the valley of the Elsa at
the church of Madonna dei Tre Fiumi.
Beyond (67i/2M.) Ronta the train leaves the valley of the Elsa,
and runs through a fertile hilly district to (71 M.) Panicaglia. The
beds of several torrents are spanned by large bridges and viaducts.
721/2 M. Borgo San Lorenzo (635 ft; Alb. del Solé) is the chief
place (5100 inhab.) in the Mugello, a beautiful wide valley, en¬
closed by lofty mountains, on the W. slope of the Central Apen¬
nines. The valley is watered by the Sieve, which joins the Amo at
Pontassieve (p. 558).
The train crosses the stream a little before reaching (76 M.) San
Piero a Sieve (p. 407), and then, following the monotonous valley
of the Carza, ascends the S.W. longitudinal chain of the Apennines,
which culminates in the Monte Giovi (3255 ft.) and the Monte Morello
(3065 ft; p. 554). — 80 M. Vaglia, on the highroad from Bologna
to Florence (p. 407). Ascent of the Monte Morello, see p. 554; of
the Monte Senario, p. 557. — Between the tunnels we catch a
momentary glimpse to the left of the Monte Senario, with its convent
A tunnel, 2i/4 M. in length, now pierces the E. spur of the
Monte Morello, beyond which we reach (85 M.) Montorsoli (p. 557).
— Farther on, to the right, is a view of the valley of the Mugnone,