420 Route 59. n a.miMJxt..
said to have been erected by St. Maximian. — The Crypt (12th cent.), a
kind of corridor in which the remaina of St. Apollinaria were deposited
in 1173, has an ancient bronze window-grating, aeen from without. —
Above the crypt ia the broad flight of atepa (restored in 1723) leading to
the Tribuna, with the high-altar. The modern canopy of the latter is
borne by four ancient columns of black and white Oriental marble. The
two ends of the choir-bench termínate in the episcopal throne of St. Da-
mianus (688-705), which has been sawn through. The apse is adorned with
Mosaics of the 6th and 7th cent, (restored): in the centre, a large cross
on a blue ground with gilded stars, with the Transfiguration, al the sides,
Moses and Elias, below whom is St. Apollinaris preaching to his flock;
below, on the righi, are the sacrifices of Abel, Melchisedech, and Abraham;
on the left, the three brothers Constantine IV., Heraclius, and Tiberius,
bestowing privileges on Archbishop Reparatus (ca. 671-77); between them
are the four arehbiahops Ursicinus, St. Ursus, St. Severus, and Eccleaius.
— The Rood Arch is alao embellished with mosaics: in the centre a bust
of Christ, at the sides the symbolical figures of the Evangelists, and below
them twelve apostles (symbolized as aheep) hastening to Christ from the
towns of Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
The celebrated Pine Forest of Ravenna, or La Pineta, which ex-
isted in the time of Odoacer and has been extolled by Dante, Boc¬
caccio, Dryden, and Byron, begins about l3/4 M. beyond the church
of S. Apollinare. The severe winter of 1879-80 and a conflagration
seriously injured it.
About 2 M. to the S. of Ravenna, on the bank of the Ronco, rises the
Colonna di Gastón de Foix, erected in 1657, a memorial of íhe victory gained
on llth April, 1512, by the united armiea of Louia XII. of France and
Duke Alphonao I. of Ferrara (at which the poet Arioato waa present) over
the Spaniah troopa and those of Pope Julius II. At the moment when the
victory waa decided, the brave Gastón de Foix fell (p. 149).
Trajan built an Aqueduct ca. I872 M. long to aupply Ravenna with water
from the mountains near Teodorano. Some remaina of thia structure,
which was restored by Theodoric, may be seen in dry wealher in íhe bed
of the Ronco at San Bartolomeo, a little above Ravenna.
Railway from Ravenna to Ferrara, see p. 386; Light Railwuy to Forll
(17 M. in Í72 hr.) and Railway to Rimini, see Baedeker's Central Italy.
59. From Ravenna (or Bologna) to Florence viá Faenza.
94 M. Railway in 574-7»/4 hrs. (fares 17 fr. 55, 12 fr. 30, 7 fr. 90 c).
Carriages are changed at Castel Bolognese and Faenza.
From Ravenna or Bologna to (26 M.) Castel Bolognese, see p. 409.
31 M. Faenza (115 ft.; Corona, near the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele,
with trattoria, R. 1-2 fr., very fair; Vittoria), the Faventia oí the
ancient Boii, a pleasant town with 12,300 inhab., on the Lamone
(the ancient Anemo), has given its ñame to a kind of majolica (fay-
ence), the manufacture of which was at its zenith in the 15th and
16th cent, and has recently again been receiving attention.
The spacious Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is surrounded by the
Torre dell' Orologio, the Palazzo del Comune, and the flne Cathedral
of San Pibtro. The latter, a basilica with nave and aisles, was
begun in 1474 by Giuliano da Maiano oí Florence, and contains
the tomb of St. Savinus, by Benedetto da Maiano (1472).
The Via Severoli leads to the right from the S.W. angle of the
piazza to the secularized convent of Santa Maria dell' Angelo, on the