Environs. RAVENNA. 58. Route. 419
of a single huge block of Istrian rock, which is said to weigh 470 tons.
Some remains of the colonnade which encircled the somewhat re-
treating upper story are now preserved in the interior. The sub-
structure is from time to time under water; the upper part is ap-
proached by a double staircase of marble (1774).
About 2 M. to the N.E. of the rail, station, on the Canale Cor¬
sini (p. 410) and at the beginning of the Pineta (p. 420), is the
Cimitero Monumentale, laid out since 1879 (fine monuments).
About 2 M. from tbe Porta Nuova (Pl. F, 7), and not far
from the ancient harbour of Ravenna, which has been entirely
silted up since the 18th cent., is the church of Santa Maria in
Porto Fuori, a basilica with open roof, erected by the Blessed
Pietro degli Onesti ('Pietro il Peccatore') in 1096 et seq. The left
aisle contains an ancient Christian sarcophagus with the bones of
the founder (d. 1119). The choir and the side-chapels contain
beautiful frescoes by masters of the Rimini school (14th cent.). The
massive substructures of the lofty square campanile (1173-87) are
said to have belonged to an oíd lighthouse (faro). The church is
mentioned by Dante (PaTadiso xxi, 123).
No traveller should quit Ravenna without visiting the church of Sant'
Apollisare in Classe, situated 3 M. to the S.E. of the Porta Nuova. Thia
may be done either by carriage (with one horse, there and back, about
3-4 fr.; comp. p. 409), or by the railway between Ravenna and Rimini
(station, Classe; fares 60, 45, 30c). About halfway, both the road and the
railway cross the Fiumi Riuniii (p. 410).
*Sant' Apollinare in Classe Fuori, erected under Archbishop
Ursicinus (535-38) by Julianus Argentarius outside the gates of
Classis, was consecrated in 549 by St. Maximian, afterwards be¬
longed for a long period to a Camaldulensian monastery (comp.
p. 413), and was restored in 1779. This is the largest and best-
preserved of the basilicas still existing at Ravenna and was flnally
freed from encroaching buildings in 1900-4. It consists of a nave
and aisles, with a vestibule at the W. end, and a handsome round
campanile. The exterior exhibits traces of an attempt to relieve
the surfaces of the walls with indications of pilasters and arches.
(For unlocking the doors, 50 c.)
The spacious Interior (now almost destitute of colour) rests on twenly-
four cipollino columns, and has an open roof added in the middle ages.
The walls of the Nave and Aisles, which were stripped of íheir marble
panelling by Sigismondo Malaíesta in 1449, have been adorned since the
18th cent, with portraits of bishops and archbishopa of Ravenna, an un-
broken series of 131, from the first successor of St. Apollinaris, who
sufl'ered martyrdom in 74 under Vespasian, to the present archbishop. Each
aisle contains four marble sarcophagi of archbishopa (5-8th cent.). A
niche in the right aisle probably once contained the remains of St. Apolli¬
naris. In the left aiale is an inscription relating to the penance performed
here by Emp. Olho III. in 1001 at the instigation of St. Rornuald. Farther
on is an ancient capital used aa a holy water baain. At the end of the
aisle ia the tabernacle of St. Eleucadiu3 (9th cent.), with an altar of the
6th century. — The Nave containa a marble altar, in the ancient fashion