418 Route 58. RAVENWA. ausl Quarters.
the palace of Theodoric, and twenly-aix aainta wiíh wreatha approaching
Chriat enthroned between angela (a group which has also been freely
restored). These last moaaica betray a tendency to the ahowy style of the
later period, but the 16 single figures of the teachers of the church above
them, between the windows, are executed in a more independent and
pleaaing manner. Above the windowa, on the upper part of the wall, on
each side, are thirleen interesting compositions from the New Testamenl.
On the left, the sayings and miracles of Christ (without a beard); on the
right, the history of the Passion from the Last Supper to the Resurrection
(Christ with a beard). The omission of the Crucifixión itself points to
the origin of theae moaaica al an early period when represeníalions of the
kind were abhorred. — The last chapel (Cappella delle Reliquie) on the
left, in which íhe marble lining of the walls still remains, containa an
ancient marble episcopal throne, perforated marble screens which belonged
to the ambo of the nave, and on the wall a portrail of Justinian in mosaic,
badly restored in 1863. At the altar are four porphyry columns from the
At the córner of the Via Alberoni, a few paces to the S. of
S. Apollinare Nuovo, some remains of the Palace of Theodoric
(Pl. 39; E, 5) are still extant, unless indeed, as is perhaps more
probable, these date from an addition erected as barracks in the
time of the exarchs.
The remains include a narrow facade with round-arched blind arcades
and with a central niche (exedra) in the upper story (disengaged in 1898
and at the same time freely restored), a colonnade in two stories, the
bases of two round towers, etc. (key kepl by the sacristán of S. Apollinare;
fee 30-60 c). — The palace was plundered by Belisariua in 539, and in
784 ita íreasurea of art and most of its columna were removed to Aix-la-
Chapelle by Charlemagne. The palace and its gardens extended E. to the
Viale Pallavicino, and down to 1098 the sea adjoined it at the back. The
massive principal tower was standing until 1295.
Still farther to the S. is Santa Maria in Porto (Pl. F, 6), erected
in 1553 et seq. from the remnants of San Lorenzo in Caesarea (p. 410),
and embellished with ornamentations from Santa Maria in Porto
Fuori (p. 419); it was restored in 1895-96. The facade dates from
1784. The church consists of nave and aisles with transept and an
octagonal dome, the roof borne by columns and pillars placed alter-
nately. The choir contains an ancient vase in porphyry. In the N.
transept is a Byzantine marble relief of the Virgin (lOth cent. ?).
— The adjacent Monastery, now a barrack, has fine Renaissance
cloisters and a handsome loggia of 1508-14, the latter restored in
1903-4. — In the Ippodromo, behind the church, a fragment of the
town-wall (6th cent.) is preserved.
About i/2 M. to the E. of the Porta Serrata (Pl. D, E, 1; p. 417),
beyond the railway, is the *Mausoleum of Theodoric the Great
(Pl. G, 1), or Sonta Maria della Rotonda, as it was called after the
remains of the heretic were scattered and the church became an
orthodox Catholic place of worship. In the middle ages it was the
church of the adjoining Benedictine monastery and the Pantheon
of Ravenna, but it was disengaged again from the surrounding build¬
ings in 1719. Probably erected by Theodoric himself (about 520),
it is a two-storied structure of decagonal shape in the style of the
ancient Román tombs, and the flat dome, 36 ft. in diameter, consists