East Quarters. RAVENNA. 58. Route. 417
(Pl. F, 2), the oíd castle of Ravenna, built after 1457 by the Ven¬
etians and partially taken down in 1736.
The Cosso Giuseppe Gabibaldi (Pl. E, F, 2-6) leads to the N.
to the Porta Serrata (thence to the Mausoleum of Theodoric, see
p. 418), and to the S. to —
Spirito Santo (Pl. E, 3, 4; entrance in the Via Paolo Costa), or
San Teodoro, erected by Theodoric for the Arian bishops, but re¬
built in the 16th century. It is a flat-roofed basilica, with a vesti¬
bule at the W. entrance and a Renaissance portal, and is adorned
with fourteen columns of coloured marble in the interior. In the
lst chapel on the left is an ancient marblepulpit. —The sacristán
(in the house No. 8) also keeps the key of the adjacent Baptistery
of the Arians, afterwards the oratory of Santa Maria in Cosmedin,
but originally the octagonal hall of a Román bathing-establishment.
The octagonal dome is adorned with Mosaics oí the 6th cení, (freely
reslored): in íhe centre, Baptism of Christ; on the left, the river-god of
the Jordán, surrounded by íhe Aposíles. The presení pavemení is abouí
7 fí. above íhe original level. Several Arian crosses are built into the
walls of íhe Casa di Droedone, íhe adjoining house on the left.
In the Piazza Anita Garibaldi (p. 411) is the church of —
San Giovanni Evangelista (Pl. F, 4) , erected in 424 by the
Empress Galla Placidia in consequence of a vow made during a
voyage from Constantinople, but almost wholly rebuilt in 1747,
except the tower (llth cent.). The court in front has retained the
form of the ancient atrium. Above the beautiful Gothic portal of the
latter (1316) are reliefs in allusion to the foundation of the church.
The Interior (if closed, knock at the door), with its unpleasing barrel
vaulting, consists of nave and aisles borne by tweníy-four aníique columns.
The pavement has been raised by about 6 ft. The vaulting of the 4th chapel
on íhe lefl ia adorned wiíh freacoea (retouched) of the four Evangeliata,
with íheir aymbola above íhem, and íhe four fathera of the church, SS.
Gregory, Ambroae, Auguatine, and Jerome, by Giotto (who had come to
Ravenna between 1317 and 1320 on a visit to his friend Dante). In the
closed chapel of St. Bartholomew (left of choir) are remains of a rude
Mosaic Pavement oí 1213, represeníing scenes from íhe Third Crusade. The
crypí confains íhe anciení aliar of the church (5th cent.).
*Sant' Apollinare Nuovo (Pl. E, 4, 5), a basilica erected after
500 by Theodoric the Great as an Arian cathedral, was in 560 con¬
verted by the Archbishop St. Agnellus into a Román Catholic church
(St. Martinus in Coelo áureo). It has borne its present ñame since
the 8th or 9th century. The campanile is oíd. The atrium and apse
were removed in the 16th and 18th cent., but the nave still affords
the rare spectacle of a well-preserved interior decoration of the early-
Christian period. The ceiling, however, was modernized in 1611.
The Interior contains íwenty-four marble columna brought from
Constantinople. On the right ia an ancient ambo. The walla of the nave
are adorned with intereating 'Mosaics of the 6th cent., partly of the Arian,
and partly of the Rom. Cath. period, afíerwarda frequently restored (most
recenfly in 1898-99): on the left the town of Classis with iís Román build¬
ings, the aea and ahipa, and tweníy-lwo virgina wiíh íhe Magi approach-
ing íhe Madonna enlhroned between angels (íhe E. half badly reslored); on
íhe right the city of Ravenna with its churchea (still without towers) and