Northern Quarters. RAVENNA. 58. Route. 415
da Polenta, on 13th Sept., 1321, at the age of 56, and was tempor-
arily interred in the narthex of the church of San Francesco.
In 1482 Bernardo Bembo, the Veneíian governor (falher of the cel¬
ebrated Cardinal Bembo), caused the present mausoleum to he erected
from designs by Pietro Lombardi, but it was practically rebullí in 1780.
Ií is a aquare structure with a dome, embellished wiíh medallions of
the poet'a teachera and patrons (Virgil, Brunetto Latini, Can Grande della
Scala, and Guido da Polenta); oppoaite the enírance is a half-lengíh relief of
Dante, and below ií a aarcophagua, a marble urn in which now coníains the
poet'a remains. It bears an epitaph composed by Bern. Canaccio in 1367: —
Jura Monarchiae, Superos, Phlegethonta lacusque
Lustrando eeciní, voluerunt fata quousque,
Sed guia pars cessit melioribus hospita castris,
A(u)ctoremque suum petiit felicior aslris,
Hic claudor Dantes, patriis extorris ab oris,
Quem genuil parvi Florencia mater amoris.
To the right of the tomb is the so-called Sepolcreto di Braccio-
forte, a small court with eleven Early Christian Sarcophagi, some
of which, however, were found elsewhere. The largest (4th cent.)
ha3 a representation of Christ between St. Peter and St. Paul, with
the Annunciation and Visitation at the sides.
A little to the N. of the Piazza Venti Settembre (p. 412) is the
church of San Domenico (Pl. C, 3, 4), founded in 1269 and rebuilt
by G. B. Contini about 1700; it is adorned with four paintings by
N. Rondinelli. — In the Via Cura, to the S. of the Porta Adriana,
is the picturesque little church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Pl. B,
3, 4), of ancient foundation, but rebuilt by Dom. Barbiani in 1758;
the lower part of the tower belonged to the original edifice. An ambo
of 596 in the interioT resembles that in the cathedral (p.412 ).
**San Vitale (Pl. C, 3) was erected under the superintendence
of Julianus Argentarius ('the treasurer') by Archbp. Ecclesius (526-
634) on the spot where St. Vitalis suffered martyrdom, and was
consecrated by St. Maximian in 547. The church, which was prob¬
ably originally the court-church, is octagonal (38 yds. in diameter),
with a choir, three-sided on the exterior, and round in the interior,
added to it on the E. side. The vestibule adjoining the church
obliquely on the W. side was originally flanked by two towers, of
which that on the S. was replaced at an early date by a campanile,
restored in 1688.
The Interior, remodelled in 1530-40, was restored by Corrado Ricci
in 1893-1902 and freed from inappropriate additions, with íhe exception of
the baroque frescoes by Serafino Barozzi and others in the dome. It is
divided by eight massive pillars into a central space and a aurrounding
ambulatory. Between the pillars are semicircular nichea with pairs of
columna and arches, in two series, one above the other, over which rises
the dome, constructed of earthen véasela. Each of the windowa in the
dome ia divided by a mullion into two round-arched lights. The lower
parís of íhe pillars are síill incrnsfed wiíh íheir original coating of rare
marble ('Affricano'). The upper columna have capitals of several pieces.
íhe lower columns fine írapezium-capiials (perhaps the earliesl in Ravenna).
The pavemenl has been raised abouí 272 fí. in íhe course of centuries.
The Choir ia adorned with admirable Mosaics, which are however
inferior in alyle to íhoae of earlier dale in íhe Baptiatery of íhe Orthodox
(p. 412) and to those of íhe Mausoleum of Galla Placidia (p. 416): Chriat