414 Route 58. RAVEININA. ¡soum-nast Quarters
The oíd Convent Church of San Romualdo, restored by Luca Danesi
in the baroque style in 1630, with its fine altara adorned with rare marbles,
contains early-Christian, Byzantine, mediseval, and Renaissance sculptures
in marble: 533. Early Christian sarcophagus-reliefs of the 5th cent. (Christ
in the act of benediclion, Raísing of Lazarus, Daniel in íhe Liona' Den);
651. Ant. Braccio, Seated figure of Pope Clement XII. (1738), transferred
hither from the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele in 1867. The large porphyry basin
was brought hither from the Mausoleum of Theodoric (p. 418). — Adjacent
are small and tasteful Cloisters, brought from Santa Maria in Porto in
1886, and containing some terracottas, etc.
The former Sacristy contains the main part of the collections. In
the middle, Caae 1. Parts of a Byzantine set of jewels, found in 1879 in
the crypt of San Francesco; remains of a costly *Suit of gold armour,
inlaid with Oriental garnets, probably Theodoric's, found in íhe Dársena
in 1854; Case 2. Works in ivory. On the walls: embroidery, wood-carvinga,
bronzes, fine majolica, terracoífas, etc. — A Side Room coníaina Egyptian,
early Italic, and Román antiquities.
On the first floor ia íhe Biblioteca Comunale (admission daily, 10-2,
except on Sundays and holidays), founded in 1707, containing 72,000 vols.
(including 700 incunabula) and 1000 MSS. Among the latter are the cel¬
ebrated MS. of Arislophanes oí the lOih cent.; one of Dante oí 1369; letters
of Cicero oí the 15th cení.; commeníary of Benvenuto da Imola; prayer-book
of Mary Stuart, wilh miniatures; Visitors' Book from the Tomb of Dante.
The rare editiona include the Decretáis of Boniface VIII., printed by Fust
al Mayence in 1465. Here also is shown íhe chest (re-discovered in 1865),
in which the bones of Dante were preserved since 1677 (see p. 415).
Tbe Tower, which is used as a meteorológica! observatory, affords a
Sant' Ágata (Pl. D 6; entrance Via Mazzini 46), a basilica con-
sisting of nave and aisles with an inner vestibule, dates originally
from the 5th cent, but was almo3t entirely rebuilt, including the
round campanile, in 1476-94. In 1893 it was restored in the original
style. It contains beautiful antique marble columns and an ancient
ambo, or pulpit, shaped like the hollowed dram of a column.
A little to the N. is the small Piazza Byron (Pl. D. 5), at the
comer of which is the Hotel Byron (Pl. 35), formerly the Palazzo
Rasponi, occupied from June, 1819, to Oct., 1821, by Lord Byron
(p. 411), as the memorial tablet records.
The neighbouring church of San Francesco (Pl. D, 5), formerly
S. Pietro Maggiore, is said to have been founded by St. Petrus Chryso-
logus (p. 409), but is now entirely modernised (1793) with the
exception of the tower and the crypt. It has belonged to the Francis-
cans since 1261.
The Interior consists of nave and aisles, with 22 columns of coloured
marble. Unpleasing modern ceiling. At íhe enlrance are aeveral anciení
íombatonea; on the right íhaf of Osíasio da Polenía, of 1396; on íhe left
that of Enrico Alfieri, who died in 1405, at the age of 92, as general of
™ Franciscana, below which ia a Chriatian sarcophagua of the 4th century.
The Cappella del Crocefisso, the 2nd on the right, contains two columns
of Greek marble and handsome pilasters of the 15th century. In tbe chapel
"íríV oight of the choir is tne alleg<¡d sarcophagus of the bishop St. Liberius
(374-378). Atthe end of íhe left aisle is the fine Renaissance monument of
Luffo Numai, by Tom. Flamberli (1509). The crypt is generally under water.
Adjoining the church on the left is Dante's Tomb (Pl. 41; D, 5).
The poet died at Ravenna, where he enjoyed the protection of Guido