South- West Quarters. RAVENNA. 58. Route. 413
On the lower section of the wall are admirable mosaics of gold festoons on a
bine ground with atatues of propheta (?) at the corners. The large font in
white marble and porphyry is of the 16th cent., but its parapet is ancient. —
In tbe nichea are an altar and a Bacchic vaae.
On the flrst floor of the Archiepiscopal Palace (Pl. C, 5),
restored in the 16th cent., is the Cappella di San Pier Crisologo
(p. 409), a square vaulted chamber of the 5th cent, (fee 30-50 c).
The vaulting is adorned with ancient Mosaics; in the arches, saints;
in the centre, on the groining, four angels holding the monogram of Christ;
under them the aymbols of the four Evangelista; in the centre of the arch,
Christ as a young man without beard. The Madonna and two saints over
the altar were originally in the cathedral. The so-called "Throne of Arch-
bishop Maximian (546-552), which, however, is more probably a throne
presented by Pietro OrseoloII., Doge of Venice, to tbe Emp. Otho III.
in 1001 and brought by the latter to Ravenna (comp. p. 411). The throne
ia adorned with reliefs in ivory, representing John the Baptist in the centre
in front, the four Evangelists on the right and left, the history of Joseph
(in ten grapbic reliefs) at the sides, and the life of Christ on the back, in
7 (originally 16) scenes. The scenes are surrounded with charming or-
namentation (animáis in rich foliage).
The Sala Lapidaria, or anteroom, contains ancient and early-medieeval
inscriptions; a Román torso in porphyry; a 'Relief with children, a frag¬
ment of the frieze of the temple of Neptune (p. 416); tbe cope of the
canonized bishop St. Johannes Angeloptes (?), perhaps dating from the
9th cent.; and an Easter Calendar from 532 to 626. — The archiepiscopal
Archives comprise about 11,000 documenta on parchment.
On the right (No. 3), at the beginning of the Via Alfredo Baccarini,
leading to the Porta San Mamante, is the Accademia di Belle Arti
(Pl. D, 5), founded in 1827 (open 9-2; ring at the gate, 50 c. ;
director, V. Guaccimanni).
The Picture Gallery chiefly contains picturea by masters of the place,
such as two Madonnas by NiccolbRondinelli; a Crucifixión, Nativity, Desceñí
from the Cross, and severa! portraiís by Luca Longhi (1507-80); pictures
by his son Francesco. The following may also be mentioned: Guercino,
St. Romuald; Al. Tiarini, St. John; C. Cignani, St. Benedict. — Among the
other contenís of íhe Academy are a large ancienl mosaic found at Sant'
Apollinare in Classe in 1875; the 'Monument with recumbent atatue of
Guidarello Guidarelli, 'guerrier Ravennate' (d. 1501), by Tullio Lomburdi;
Endymion, by Canovu; a buat of Sí. Apollinaria by Thorvaldsen; many casis
from íhe antique.
In the same street, No. 5, is the secularised Camaldulensian
monastery of Classe, built in 1515 et seq. by the monks of Sant' Apol¬
linare in Classe Fuori. It now contains the Municipal Collections
(Biblioteca e Museo; Pl. D, 6).
On the groundfloor is the Museo Nazionale (adm. on week-days 9-3,
Sun. Si holidays, 9-12, free; no catalogue).
We first enter the fine Cloisters, built by Giulio Morelli of Florence
in the 17th cent., which contain Greek, Elruscan, Román, and Byzantine
inscriptions and fragmenta of Román buildinga and atatues. E. Walk:
229. Relief representing the Apotheosia of Auguatus, with the seated figure
of Roma to the left and figurea of Julius Csesar, Augustus, and Claudius;
fragmení of íhe same work, with procession of sacrificial animáis. N. Walk:
64. Tomb-relief of íhe Longidiena family. — We now enter (to the right)
the Vestibule of tbe Refectort, with a bust of Pope Innocent X. by Ber-
nini. —- In the Refectort are furniture, a collection of coins and medals,
and a fresco of the Wedding at Cana, by Lucu Longhi (1580).
In the Corridor leading to the church are remains of sarcophagi,
inscriptions, and mosaica from the churches of Ravenna.