'412 Route 58. RAVENNA. South-West Quarters.
p. 417), proceed straight on through the Via Farini to the Piazza
Vittomo Emanuele (Pl. D, 4), in the centre of the town. In front
of the Palazzo Municipale (Pl. 30; built in 1681), in this piazza,
rise two lofty Columns erected by Pietro Lombardi in 1483 for the
Venetian government. bearing statues of SS. Apollinaris and Vitalis
(1630). Adjoining is a Colonnade of eight columns of granite, per¬
haps a fragment of the church of Sant' Andrea dei Goti, built by
Theodoric the Great and pulled down in 1457. The king's monogram
is discernible on four of the capitals. — A little to the N., at the
end of the Via Tredici Giugno, to the left, is the Torre Comunale
(Pl. 42; D, 3), a tower of the llth or 12th century.
Behind the town-hall is the Piazza Venti Setiembre (Pl. C, 4),
with a granite column, erected in 1609. — The Via Gioacchino
Rasponi leads henee to the S.W. to the Piazza del Duomo, in which
stand a granite column of 1605 and the —
Cathedral (Pl. C, 5) of Sant' Orso, or Basilica Ursiana, built in
1734-44 on the site of a church founded by Bishop Ursus (d. 396).
The present building consists of nave and aisles with transept,
surmounted by a dome above the crossing. The campanile and the
(inaccessible) crypt are the only relies of the ancient church.
Interior. 2nd Chapel on the right: sarcophagua of SS. Exuperantius and
Maximianua (6th cent.). In the S. Transept is the chapel of the Madonna
del Sudore, built in 1630-59 and containing two early-Christian marble
sarcophagi, said to be tho.se of SS. Barbatian and Reginald. The Choir
contains a marble sarcophagus with the remains of nine bishops of early
date; to the right the Croce di Sant' Agnello, a silver cross of the 6th
cent, (frequently restored), with figures of 37 bishops and 3 archhiahops
(the reliefs in the centre of the 16th cent.). — In the Left Aisle, on each
side, are several marble alaba with figures of animáis, birds, and fishes,
dating from the 6th cent., being fragmenta of a pulpit ('ambo') erected by
Archbishop Agnellus (556-569), with the inscription 'Servus Christi Agnellus
episcopus hunc pyrgum fecit'. Choir-screen panels of the 5th cent, have
been let into tbe floor. — In the lunette above the entrance to the sacristy,
to the right, *Elijah in the desert, fed by tbe ángel, a fresco by Guido Reni.
— The chapel of the Holy Sacrament (1612) in the N. Transept contains
the Shower of Manna, also by Guido Reni; the frescoes on the ceiling,
Christ in glory, are by his pupils.
Adjoining the Cathedral is the —
*Baptistery of the Orthodox (Battistero degli Ortodossi; Pl. C 5),
or San Giovanni in Fonte, an octagonal structure, with a cupola,
constructod of clay-vessels. According to Corrado Ricci, this was
originally part of a Román bath, converted to Christian uses by
Archbp. Neón (449-452). The building was restored in 1865-85.
Custodian, Via del Battistero 2 (fee 30 c).
The Interior, the pavement of which has been raised nearly 10 ft.,
contains two arcades, one above the other. The cupola ia decorated with
"Mosaics of the 5th cent, (partly restored), the best and most ancient at
Ravenna, representing the Baptism of Christ (with a beard) with the river-
god of the Jordán on a gold ground and the twelve Apostles on a blue
ground. Under these runs a broad frieze, on which, between the groups of
light columns, are represented four altars with the open books of the gospels,
and tbrones with crosses. The upper arcades of the wall are adorned
with sixteen figures of prophets (?), and crchitectonic enrichments, in stucco.