RAVENNA. 58. Route. 409
(230 ft.), with a cháteau built by the Bolognese in the 13th cent.,
on the Sillaro.
21i/2 M. Imola (140 ft.; Alb. d'Italia; Caffe Grande), on the
Santerno, an ancient town with 12,100 inhab. and the seat of a
bishop since 422, was the Román Forum Corneta, named after its
founder L. Cornelius Sulla, but it is mentioned as Imolae as early
as the 8th century. In 1480, after a chequered career, the town,
along with Forli, carne into the possession of Girol. Riario, nephew
of Pope Sixtos IV., and after his assassination (1488) it was held
by his widow, Catharine Sforza, until her expulsión by Cesare
Borgia in 1499.
The completely modernized Cathedral of San Cassiano contains
the tomb of St. Petrus Chrysologus, Archbishop of Ravenna (d. 449),
who was born at Imola. — The handsome Palace of Catharine Sforza,
with its rustica facade, is in the Via Cavour. The princess is buried
in the ancient church of V Osservanza. — Other interesting ediñces
are the Palazzo Paterlini (now the Banca Popoiare), a reduced copy
of the Pal. Strozzi at Florence, the sumptuous portal of the church
of San Domenico, and the handsome early-Renaissance Ospedale
Vecchio (ca. 1480).
The little church of Madonna del Piratello, near the town, has
a campanile attributed to Bramante.
The train then crosses the Santerno to (26 M.) Castel Bolognese
(135 ft.; Locanda alia Stella; Rail. Restaurant, poor), an ancient
stronghold of the Bolognese, where the Florentines under NiccolS
da Tolentino and Gattamelata were defeated by the Milanese under
Piooinino in 1434. — Henee to Faenza, see p. 420.
The line to Ravenna next passes (30 M.) Solarolo, in the Muni¬
cipio of which is a relief of the Madonna by Franc. di Simone, oí
Florence. — 35 M. Lugo, with 12,900 inhab. and a castle (Rocca)
of the 15-16th cent., is the junction of a line to Lavezzola (14i/2 M.;
p. 386), viá Massalombarda. — 38 M. Bagnacavallo (36 ft.), with
3700 inhab.; in the parish church (Pieve), founded in the 5th cent.,
are the remains of a 7th cent, ciborium and oíd frescoes of the
14th century. — 52 M. Ravenna.
Ravenna. — Hotels (bargain advisable). Grand Hotel Byron (P1.35;
D, 5), Via Mazzini, with trattoria and garden, R. 4-6, B. I1/2, omn. 1 fr.,
variously judged; Sfada d'Oro r San Marco (Pl. a; D, 4), Via Farini, with
trattoria, R. 21/2-3, omn. 3/hít., clean; Alb. Roma, Piazza Vitt. Emanuele
(Pl. D, 4), with café-restaurant, R. from 2 fr.; Alb. Cappello, Via Rat-
tazzi 9, well spoken of; Alb. Céntrale, Via Urbano, with good trattoria,
R. from I74 fr.; Unione, Via Sant' Agneae, unpretending. Mosquitoea
troubleíome in aummer.
Cafés. Caffé Roma, Caffé del Risorgimento (with bedrooms), in the
Piazza Vitt. Emanuele; Caffé Byron, Piazza Byron, tolerable-
Oabs: per drive 1, two-horse li/j fr. (at night 30 c. extra); firat hour
2 or 272 fr., each additional 72 hr. 1 or I74 fr.; beyond the town 2 fr. 20 c.
or 4 fr. per hour.