406 Route 56. BOLOGNA.
which is shown in the absence of the proprietor; its grounds com-
mand charming views.
A few paces from the tramway-station (p. 405) near the former
PoTta d'Azeglio the steep Via del Monte (Pl. C, B, 7) ascends to
the (1/4 hr.) Villa Mezzaratta (590 ft.; fine views; adm. free). Cióse
by is the little church of Sant' Apollonia, containing Bolognese
frescoes of the 14th cent, (closed).
About l4/4 M. outside the former Pobta Sant' Isaia (Pl. A, 4),
to the W. of the town, on the electric tramway-line (p. 387) to
Meloncello (see below), is situated the Certosa (formerly a Car-
thusian monastery), erected in 1333, and consecrated in 1801 as a
Campo Santo. It occupies the site of an oíd Etruscan burial-
ground, discovered here in 1869, since which date the cemetery
has been enlarged by the addition of new cloisters and magniflcent
eolonnades. Open daily 8-6 (in winter 9-4). The entrance is on
the E. side, 3 min. from the tramway-station; guide desirable;
Y2-I fr- t0 tüe custodian (dimostratore).
The church contains a few paintings by Elisabetta Sirani and Bart. Cesi,
and wood-carving of 1539 and 1611. — At the beginning of the Cloisters
are ancient tombstones from suppresaed churches, arranged according to
centuriea. Then, modern monuments. including many illustrious ñames
such aa thoae of the philologist Gaspar Garaioni (d. 1817) and Clotilda Tam-
broni (d. 1817; p. 389). The principal families of the town also possess
vaulta here; thua the monument of Letizia Mural Pepoli (1802-59), with a
atatue of her father Joachim Murat, King of Naples ('propugnatqre dell'
itálica indipendenza'), executed by Vine. Vela. A rotunda here contains
the busts of celebrated professors: Mezzofanti, Galvani, Costa, Mattei
(teacher of Rossini), etc. — The Forno Crematorio is inleresting.
On the Monte della Guardia, an eminence 3M. to the S.W. of
the Pobta Sabagozza (Pl. A, 6), rises the handsome pilgrimage
church of the Madonna di San Luca (950 ft.), erected by Doííi inl723
et seq., and so called from an ancient picture of the Virgin, ascribed
to St. Luke and brought from Constantinople in 1160. The hill is
ascended in about 3/,j hr. by a series of Arcades, consisting of
fi66 arches with numerous chapéis, constructed in 1674-1739, and
2 M. in length. They begin a short way beyond the gate and
send a branch to the Campo Santo (see above). Electric tramway
(p. 387) from the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele or steam-tramway (p. 387)
from the Piazza Malpighi to Meloncello at the foot of the hill.
Thence the steps may be avoided by following the road along the
arcades. A better road ascends to the left into the valley of the
Rio Ravone, 1/2 M- outside the Porta Saragozza, making a wide
curve past Monte Albano. The »View, particularly from the S.
ascent to the portal of the church and from the dome, now used as
an observatory (staircase from the roof of the church; adm. 30c),
is remarkably fine and extends from the Apennines to the Adriatic.
The precinets of the church and the adjacent intrenchments, now
used for military puriM>8eaT-.are not accessible.