404 Route 56. BOLOGNA.
works in silver by Francia, specimens of the Pax used in the cele¬
braron of the mass; 82. Adoration of the Shepherds, Holy Family,
and Crucifixión, in a fine landscape; 370. Madonna enthroned, with
SS. Paul and Francis (a late work); 80. Madonna enthroned, with
SS. Augustine, John the Baptist, George, and Stephen; 79. An¬
nunciation, with SS. John the Baptist and Jerome; 81. Adoration
of the Child (1499); *78. Madonna enthroned, with six saints, an
angelio musician, and the donor (1494; early work); 372. Cruci¬
fixión with several saints (by the entrance). Also in this room are:
84. Giac. Francia, Holy Family, with four saints; no number,
Marco Zoppo, St. Jerome; 204. Timoteo Viti, Mary Magdalen (1508);
297. Amico Asperlini, Adoration of the Child. (ca. 1495; early
work); Lor. Costa, 65. St. Petronius supported by SS. Francis of
Assisi and Thomas Aquinas (1502), 376. Marriage of the Virgin;
64. Franc. Cossa, Madonna with St. Petronius, St. John, and the
donor, chief work of this rare old-FerraTese master (1474). — We
now proceed to the left to —
Corridos. V, containing chiefly oíd paintings. Opposite the
passage: 102. Giotto, Madonna, with SS. Peter and Paul and the
archangels Miehael and Gabriel, an altar-piece in three sections
from the church degli Angioli. On the end-wall: 205. Ant. and
Bart. Vivarini, Madonna enthroned, with saints, in a rich Gothic
frame (1450). — We descend a few steps and enter —
Corridos. II. To the left: 53. Lod. Carracci, St. Rochus; 14.
Guercino, St. Peter Martyr.
Cobbidob III: 651. Caravaggio, Daughter of Herodias; 676.
Luca Giordano, Pietá.
Cobbidob IV: 275. Ant. Raphael Mengs, Portrait of Cle-
ment XIH. — Parallel with this corridor is —
Cobbidob VI, containing a rich collection of engravings and
Of the three Rooms adjoining Corridor I, the first contains a number
of small pictures by oíd masters. On the entrance-wall: 562. Bart. Pos-
sarotti, Madonna and saints; 563. Garofalo, Holy Family; 564. Ortolano (?),
Madonna with angelic musicians. — The two other rooms contain modern
The Geological Museum (Pl. G, H, 3), Via Zamboni 65, contains
interesting fossils from the neighbourhood of Bologna, a collection
of prehistoric anthropological curiosities, etc. — Of the new uni¬
versity-buildings the Mineralogical Insiitute, with a museum, is
situated at the end of the Via Zamboni, to the left, the Anatomical
and the Physical Instüute in the Via lrnerio, which here diverges
to the W.
Traversing the Via Belle Arti (p. 401), we next reach the im¬
posing Pal. Bentivoglio (Pl. 36; F, 3), erected in 1620 (?). — A
little to the S.W., in the Piazza San Mabtino, is the Carmelite
church of San Martino (Pl. E, F, 3), in the Gothic style (1313). The
facade of 1491-1500 was reconstructed in 1879 by Gius. Modenem