400 Route 56. BOLOGNA. East Quarters.
Santi Vitale ed Agrícola (Pl. 23; G, 4). in the Via San Vitale,
said to have been consecrated in 428 by St. Petronius, has been re-
peatedly restored. The large chapel on the left contains an altar-
piece (covered*) by Fr. Francia. Adjoining is the ancient crypt (re¬
stored in 1891) of the church of San Vitale in Arena. — Opposite
(No. 23) is the Palazzo Cloetta, formerly Fantuzzi (Pl. 40; G, 4),
built by Formigine (1517-22), with a superb staircase by P. Canali.
The northernmost of the streets radiating from the leaning
towers is the Via Zamboni (Pl. F, G, H, 3, 4), to the right in which
is (No. 13) the effective and well-proportioned Pal. Malvezzi-Medici
(Pl. 49 ; F, 4), built by Bart. Triachini in 1560. — On the left is
(No. 20) the handsome Pal. Magnani-Salem (P1.48), by Dom. Tibaldi
(1576-87), with admirable frescoes (History of Romulus) by the
Carracci. No. 22, adjoining, is the Pal. Malvezzi-Campeggi (Pl. 50),
by Formigine (1522), with an interesting court.
Opposite, in the small Piazza Rossini, which is named after
the celebrated composer, who attended the neighbouring Liceo
Rossini (Pl. 26; music-school) in 1807-10, is —
San Giacomo Maggiore (Pl. F, 4), founded in 1267, consisting
of a nave with barrel-vaulting, with a fine pórtico erected in 1477-81.
The interior, altered in 1493-1509, contains several good pictures.
In the 5th Chapel on the right: Bart. Passerotli, Madonna enthroned,
with five saints and the donor. 7th Chapel, Marriage of St. Catharine, by
Innocenzo da Imola (1536), in a fine Renaiasance frame by Formigine; íltb
Chapel, erected by Pellegrino Tibaldi, and decorated by him with frescoes.
— The 3rd chapel in the retro-choir contains a gilded altar with a Coro¬
nation of the Virgin and numerous saints, by Jacopo di Paolo (1420); to the
left, on the wall, a large painted crucifix by Simone de' Crocefissi (1370).
The 6th Cap. Bentivoglio (1486) paved with coloured and glazed tiles,
contains a "Madonna, with angelic musicians and four saints (1499), the
finest work of Fr. Francia. In the lunette above is a Visión of St. John
(Rev. xvn, 1-8) by Lor. Costa. At the sidea are frescoes by Lorenzo Costa,
representing the Triumph of life and death, after Petrarch, on the left, and
the "Madonna enthroned with the Bentivoglio family, on the right (1488;
earliest known work of this master). The frescoea above are by unknown
artiats. The equestrian relief of Annibale Bentivoglio (d. 1445), on the
right, ia aaciibed to Niccolb dell' Arca (1458); to the right, by the chapel-
entrauce, ia a small relief-portrait of Giovanni II. Bentivoglio (1497),
perhaps by Vine. Onofri. Opposite, in the ambulatory, the 'Monument of
Antonio Bentivoglio (d. 1435) by Jacopo della Quercia.
The sacristán keeps the keys of the adjacent oratory of Santa
Cecilia (Pl. 4; F, 4), an oblong edifice erected about 1504-6 for
Giovanni II. Bentivoglio. The flne frescoes (restored in 1874) are
by Lor. Costa, Franc. Francia, and their pupils.
To the left: "1. Franc. Francia, Marriage of St. Cecilia with the
pagan nobleman Valerian; 2. Lor. Costa, St Urbanus converting Valerian;
3. Ces. Tamurocci, Baptism of Valerian; 4. G. M. Chiodaroloj Ángel crown-
ing SS. Cecilia and Valerian; 5. Amico Asperlini, Martyrdom of SS. Valerian
and Tiburtius. — To the right: 1. Am. Asperlini, Burial of SS. Valerian
and Tiburtius, with the Castle of Sant' Angelo in the background (much
injured); 2. Chiodarolo, Vindication of St. Cecilia before the Román pre-
fect; 3. Tamarocci, Martyrdom of St. Cecilia in the oil-caak; *4. Costa,
St. Cecilia bestowing alms; 5. Fr. Francia, Burial of St. Cecilia.