398 Route 56. BOLOGNA. Central and
On the left in the Via Santo Stefano is situated —
Santo Stefano (Pl. F, 5), consisting of eight different ediflces,
the oldest of which, the former cathedral of Santi Pietro e Paolo,
was probably founded as early as the 4th century. Three of the
churches have their entrances on the street.
The present Main Church (1637) haa a pulpit of the 12th cent, on ita
oíd facade. — We proceed thence to the left into the second church,
"Santo Sepolcro, a succeaafully restored circular building with coloured
brick ornamentation, erected in the lOth cent. (?), and perhaps Originally
a baptistery. A brick column was placed adjacent to each of the seven
antique columna, and in the 12th cent, the tomb of St. Petronius (d. 430)
was added in imitation of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem. — The paasage
to the left leads to the third church. This is the Romanesque basilica of
Santi Pietro e Paolo, rebuilt in 1019 and frequently altered, while the
exterior was rebuilt in 1880-85. The roof is supported by columna and
pillars alternately. In the interior, adjoining the choir on the left, is a
sarcophagus dating from the 9th cent., and adorned with a cross between
two peacocka; it containa the bonea of the martyr St. Vitalia (d. 382).
On the right, the sarcophagus of the martyr Agrícola (9th cent.), who is
represented with wings, between a stag and a lion. — Behind Santo
Sepolcro ia a Colonnade, the Atrio di Piloto, dating in its present form
from the llth cent.; in the centre is a font with an inscription mention-
ing the Lombard king Liutprand (d. 744). Chapel on the left, Crucifixión
and saints, altar-piece by Giac. Francia. — Immediately in front is the
fifth church, Chiesa della Trinita, resting on piers, in the centre of which
is a series of columns with Romanesque capitala. In the 3rd chapel to
the right is a painted terracotta group (14th cent.), of the Adoration of the
Magi. — Turning to the right in front of the entrance to the fifth church
we enter the sixth building, the Cappella della Consolazione, to the right from
which is the seventh building, the Romanesque Confessio or Crypt (enclosed
by a aereen), under the choir of the firat church, dating from the llth cen¬
tury. — The door atraight in front admita to the Cloisters (llth cent.)
of the suppressed Celestine monastery.
Opposite, on the right, aTe (No. 11) the Pal. Amorini-Bolognini
(Pl. 34) of 1526, and the Gothic Pal. Bovi-Silvestri (No. 19), now
the Palazzo Tacconi.
A short side-street to the right, opposite the Via Farini, leads
to San Giovanni in Monte (Pl. F, 5, 6), in the Gothic style, said to
have been founded in 433, rebuilt in 1221, 1286, and 1440-42, and
restored in 1824 and 1844. It consists of a low nave with aisles
and a short transept. The dome is by Arduino Arriguzzi (1517).
Above the entrance is an eagle in terracotta, by Niccolb dell' Arca
Interior (very dark). The W. window (St. John and the seven golden
candlestieks) is by Cossa. — In the central aisle, Statue of Christ made
from a single block of fig-wood (15th cent.); behind, a atone Crosa of 801
on an antique column. — 3rd Chapel on the right, St. Joseph and the
infant Christ, on the right, St. Jerome on the left, both by Guercino.
7th Chapel, *Madonna enthroned with four aaints and angelic musicians,
an important work by Lorenzo Costa (1497; best light early in the morning).
In the Choir, 'Coronation of the Virgin, with saints, in an attractive
landscape, by L. Costa (c. 1505; best light early in the morning or after
noon); "Stalls by Paolo Sacca, 1517-21; above them, the busts of the twelve
apostles in terracotta, by Alfonso Lombardi. The N. transept contained
Raphael's St. Cecilia down to 1796 (p. 403; the fine frame by Formigine,
with a poor copy of the painting, is the original). — 2nd Chapel on the
left, St. Francis, by Guercino.