370 Route 51. PARMA.
The adjacent room is adorned with exquisite, slightly-flgured
arabesques on a dark blue ground by Al. Araldi. — The monastery
church (San Lodovico ; Pl. D, E, 3) contains the monument of Field
Marshal Count Neipperg (d. 1829), the morganatic husband of the
Empress Marie Louise after the death of Napoleón, by Lor. Bartolini.
To the S.W. of the Piazza Garibaldi rises the University (Pl. D, 4),
erected by Galeazzo Alessi (?), in the time of Ottavio Farnese (16th cent.),
as a Jesuit college. It contains various natural history collections.
The pal»ontological department (Director, Prof. P. Strobel), and the
Museo Zoológico Eritreo Bottego, a collection illustrating the fauna
of the Italian colonies in África (entrance Strada dell' üniversitit,
No. 7), are especially worthy of inspection.
Quitting the museum and crossing the small river Parma by the
Ponte Verde (Pl. C, 3), we reach the Giardino Pubblico (Pl. B, C, 2, 3;
closed at 7 p.m.), formerly the Ducal Garden, at the N. end of which
is the Palazzo del Giardino (Pl. B, C, 2), erected in 1564 by Odoardo
Farnese, and adorned with numerous frescoes. One of the apartments
contains the Rape of Europa, the Triumph of Venus, the Marriage
of Peleus and Thetis, etc., by Agostino Carracci. The palace is now
a military school and not always accessible.
The garden adjoins the Rampari, a promenade encircling the
town, and laid out on the site of the former fortifications. — To the
S.E., between the Orto Botánico and the castle (Cittadella), lies the
Stradone or Passeggio Pubblico (Pl. E, F, 5, 6), another public walk.
Steam Tramways from Parma. To the N.W. to (Í2lft¡ M.) Fontanellaio,
with the Villa Sanvitale, containing good frescoes by Parmigianino, and
thence viá (177-¿ M.) Soragna (p. 361) to (2372 M.) Busselo, a little town
with 1700 inhab., the chief church of which, Chiesa dei Minori Osaervanti,
containa a Pietá, an admirable early work (ca. 1475) by Guido Mazzoni
(p. 372). Verdi (p. 155) wa8 born at the neighbouring village of Roncóle.
— To the S. to (15 M.) Langhirano, in the upper valley of the Parma, viá
(12 M.) Torrechiara, with a loftily-situated castle of the Sforza Cesarini,
built in 1448-60. The Camera d'Oro in the latter has painted wall-tiles
and frescoes by Ben. Bembo. — To the S.E. viá (5i/2 M.) Pilastrello to (11 M.)
Montecchio on the one hand and on the other to (13 M.) Traversetolo, whence
we may reach Canossa (p. 863) in 21/2-3 hrs. viá San Polo d'Enza.
52. From Parma (Milán) to Sarzana (Spezia, Pisa).
72 M. Railway in 2¡>/4-i3/t hrs. (fares 13 fr. 50, 9 fr. 45, 6 fr. 10 c). The
fastest train is the so-called 'lightning express' from Milán to Rome viá Pisa
(fares 14 fr. 85, 10 fr. 40 c). — For Sarzana passengers by the ordinary
trains change carriages at Santo Stefano di Magra; no connection to Spezia
(747í M.) by the lightning expresa.
From Milán to Parma, 78 M., see R. 50. The line traverses the
plain to the S.W. of Parma to (772 M.) Collecchio, and at (12 M.)
Ozz no Taro enters the boulder-strewn valley of the Taro, a tribu-
tary of the Po, which it ascends to Borgotaro, passing through several
tunnels. — Near (1472 M.) Fornovo di Taro (575 ft.) Charles VIII.
of France, retiring over the Cisa (p. 371) in 1495, repulsed an
attack of the Milanese and Venetians, who sought to embarass his