Pal. della Pilotta. PARMA. 51. Route. 367
an elegant cruciform early-Renaissance structure, covered by a
dome, with aisles and two series of chapéis. It was erected in 1510
by Bernardino Zaccagni; the handsome baroque facade is by Simone
Moschino (1604), and the tower by G. B. Magnani (1614).
Interior. In the first two chapéis on the left, Frescoes by Parmigia-
nino (SS. Lucia and Apollonia, two deacons, SS. Giorgio and Ágata); in
the 2nd chapel on the right, an Adoration of the Shepherds, by Giacomo
Francia, 1519. In the recesaes of the transepts are four terracotta statuea
by Ant. Begarelli (1561); to the left, Madonna and St. John the Evangelist,
to the right, St. Felicitas and St. Benedict. — The sombre Dome is adorned
with 'Frescoea by Correggio, representing Christ in glory, aurrounded by
apoatlea anrf angela, painted in 1521-23 (freely restored in parts in 1901-4).
The best time to aee them is at noon or 4 p.m.; they are also ahown by
electric light in the evening for 3-8 fr. (copies in the picture-gallery, see
p. 368). The half-dome of the Choir, containing a Coronation of Mary by
Correggio, waa removed in 1584 (the original of the principal group ia in
the Library, p. 369; copiea of other parta are in the picture-gallery, aee
p. 368). The new dome of the choir waa adorned with a copy of the
complete work by Ces. Aretusi. The handaome choir-atalla are by Zucchi
and Testa (1512-38). In the archway of the door of the sacristy (left tran¬
sept), *St. John the Evangeliat by Correggio (1521?). — The picturesque
cloiatera (to the left of the church) are not acceaaible.
A few paces to the N.W. of the Piazza Garibaldi, in a small
piazza, stands the *Madonna della Steccata (Pl. D, 3), an imitation
of St. Peter's (a Greek cross with rounded ends), built by Bernar¬
dino Zaccagni in 1521-39.
Interior. In the corner-chapel between the choir and the left transept,
monuments (r.) of Duke Ottavio Farneae and (1.) of Sforzino Sforza, the
latter by Giov. Franc. da Grado (1529). The archway of the choir is adorned
with frescoes by Parmigianino, the dome with paintings by Bern. Gatti of
Cremona, and the tribune with frescoes by Anselmi. Corner-chapel on the
right of the choir: monument of Guido da Correggio, by G. Fr. da Grado;
the lst chapel on the right containa the monument of Beltrando Rossi (1527).
The Piazza adjoining the church is adorned with a Jl/onwmíTit to
Francesco Mazzola, surnamed Parmigianino (p. 365), the painter,
by Giov. Chierici, erected in 1879.
In the Piazza della Prefettura (Pl. D, 3), with its pretty
gardens, are a Statue of Victor Emmanuel II. and the oíd Palazzo
Ducale, now the seat of the Prefettura.
To the N.W. of the Prefettura is the Palazzo della Pilotta
(Pl. D, 3), an extensive block of buildings, begun in 1597 by the
Farnese, but never completed, containing a very interesting collec¬
tion of antiquities and pictures as well as a considerable library (we
cross the court and ascend a broad flight of steps to the left).
In the entresol is the Museo di Antichita (open daily 10-4,
adm. 1 fr.; on Sun. and festivals 10-2, gratis).
I. Room. Collection of Coins. The two glass-cases contain Parmesan
coins and medals. — II. Room. Bronzes from Velleia (p. 360) and Parma;
in the case to the right of the window, *Drunken Hercules, Bacchus,
Alexander the Great, Victoria. Oppoaite, golden necklacea, bracelets, and
clasps of the later imperial epoch. On the back-wall, the Tabula Alimen¬
taria of Trajan, containing directiona for the maintenance of poor children;
bronze tablet with the Lex Rubria de Gallia Cisalpina, and other inscrip¬
tions on bronze, obtained in the excavations at Velleia; to the left, flne
portrait of a girl in bronze; to the right, head in gilded bronze (resem-