366 Route 51. PAKMA. Baptistery.
Bissone (1281) and the Renaissance doors are by Lucchino Bianco
The Interior, consisting of nave and aiales, reats on fourteen piers,
above which runa a fine triforium. The vaulting of the nave was painted
by Girolamo Mazzola and by Lattanzio Gambara oí Brescia (ca. 1570).
3rd chapel on the right, a Deacent from the Cross in relief by Benedetto
Antelami (1178); 4th chapel, frescoes of the 15th cent.; 5th chapel frescoes
by Franc) Rondani, a pupil of Correggio. - 5th chapel on the left, tres-
coes of the 14th cent., on the left History of St. Peter, on the right
Histories of SS. Sebastian and Catharine. .
The octagonal Dome is adorned with an Assumption by Correggio (152b-
30), unfortunately much injured by damp (best light about noon). 'It
seeins aa if some mighty upward impulse had impelled the whole armies
of Christendom to soar away from earth in joyful bliss. A striking feature
of the work is that the figures seem to cleave the vaulting and to be in
the act of forcing their way out of the church-walls into bright ether.
The masterly and almost playful manner in which the greatest difficulties
in the work have been overeóme has ever been an object of the highest
admiration'. — 'Correggio', by Dr. Julius Meyer. Visitors may ascend into
the dome to examine the painting more closely (72-1 fr.; fatiguing but
attractive); a fine view ia commanded from the outside gallery (for persona
free from dizziness). , .
In the Choir are good semi-Gothic stalla by Cristoforo da Lendmara
(1473). __ The Crypt, a apacioua cruciform atructure with thirty- eight
columna, containa monuments of the jurist Prati (d. 1542), and of Bishop
San Bernardo degli Uberti, by Prospero Clementi. — The Sacristy contains
freacoes of the 14th cent., and intaraiaa by Cristof. da Lendinara.
The octagonal *Baptistery (Battistero; Pl. E, 3), on the S. side
of the Piazza del Duomo, was begun in the Lombard-Romanesque
style in 1196-1216 by Ben. Antelami and consecrated in 1270,
though the Gothic upper story was not completed until 1302. It
is constructed of Veronese marble, and consists of flve stories with
eolonnades and three exterior round-arched portáis; the fíat roof is
3urmounted by seven pyramidal turrets and by a belfry added in
the 17th century. Around nearly the whole exterior of the building
runs a series of medallions, representing various animáis of sym-
bolical import. The portáis are adorned with Scriptural subjects on
a larger scale, by Ben. Antelami, who is named in the inscription
at the N. portal (towards the Piazza).
At the N. Portal, above, is the Adoration of the Magi; then the History
of John the Baptist; on the door-posts are genealogical trees of Jacob and
of Jesse. — At the W. Portal, above, a curious representation of the Last
Judgment. On the door-posts to the left, Christ performing works of
merey; on the right, the six ages of man. — On the S. aide ia an Allegory
of Death from the atory of Barlaam and Joaaphat.
The Interior (cloaed; key in the houae No. 2, oppoaite the S. entrance)
is aixteen-sided, with thirteen niches and three doorways below and two
galleries above, and graceful columna on the walla. The aculpturea have
been only partly completed. Above the doors are sculptures of the 13th cent.,
and on the E. side of the lower galleries is a series of 'Reliefa of the
months (incomplete) and other works of the 13th century. The Roman¬
esque frescoes in the dome (13th cent.), representing the history of John
the Baptiat and propheta, are of intereat to students of art. — The whole
population of Parma since 1216 is said to have been baptised here. The
font datea from 1294.
The church of *San Giovanni Evangelista (Pl. E, 3), belong¬
ing to an ancient Beneclictine monastery, which is now a barrack, is