362 Route 50. REGGIO. From Milán
Ponte Taro (230 ft.) we cross the river Taro. The costumes of the
peasant-women here are peculiar.
78 M. Parma, see p. 364. — Parma is the junction for the linea
to Suzzara and Mantua (see p. 263), to Piadena and Brescia (p. 218),
and to Sarzana (Pisa) and Spezia (p. 105).
Beyond (82 M.) San Prospero Parmense the train crosses the Enza,
formerly the boundary between the duchies of Parma and Modena,
and, beyond (85 M.) Sant' Ilario d'Enza (190 ft.), the Crostolo.
9572 M. Reggio. — Hotels. Albergo Posta (Pl. a; C, 3), near
the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, R. 2V2-3 fr.; tolerable; Alb. del Moretto. —
Caffé Italia, Piazza Cavour.
Cab, per drive 80 c, at night 1 fr., per hour lV2Ír.
Chief Attractions O/2 day): San Proapero; Cathedral; Madonna della
Reggio (190 ft.), called Reggio nell' Emilia or Reggio Emilia to
distinguish it from Reggio in Calabria, the ancient Regium Lepidi,
the capital of a province and the seat of a bishop, is a poor town
of 19,700 inhab., possessing broad streets flanked with arcades.
From 1289 to 1597 it belonged to Ferrara, after that to Modena
In the Via Emilia San Pietro, the E. part of the ancient Via
.¿Emilia (p. 366), which intersects the town, rise the suppressed
Benedictine convent of San Pietro (Pl. E, 3, 4; now a military
store), with graceful early-Renaissance cloisters by Bart. Spani
(1513), and the Palazzo Terrachini, formerly called Casa Ruini
(same date), which possesses three pretty early-Renaissance coutts.
A few paces to the S. of the main street, in the Piazza San
Prospero, is the church of San Prospero (Pl. C, 3), erected in
1504 by Gasparo Bisi on the site of an earlier Romanesque edifice,
to which the six marble lions of the facade (rebuilt in 1748) orig¬
Interior. Over the entrance ia the tomb of Rufino Gabloneta (d. 1627),
by Bart. Spani. By the 4th altar on the right: Sodoma, *St. Homobonus
giving alms (1518); 5th altar: Copy of Correggio's Holy Night (now in
Dresden), in the original frame. — Right Transept : Statue of the Ma¬
donna, by Prospero Clementi (d. 1584), grandson of Bart. Spani and pupil
of Miehael Angelo. — In the Choir are frescoes (restored) by Bern. Campi
of Cremona and Camillo Procaccini (1585-89).
In the adjacent Piazzza Vittorio Emanuele is situated the
Cathedral (Pl. C, 3), re-erected in the 15-léth cent., with a Re¬
naissance facade, completed only in the lower part, behind which
interesting traces of the earlier Romanesque church of the 12th cent.
with frescoes of the 13th, are still observable. Above the principal
entrance are recumbent statues of Adam and Eve by Prospero Cle¬
menti. Near the top of the tower is a group in copper (Madonna
and two donors), by Bart. Spani (ca. 1500?).
The Interior has a lofty choir and a crypt. In the 3rd chapel on the
right: Tomb of Valerio Malaguzzi (d. 1498), by Bart. Spani (ca. 1530).
Chapel to the right of the choir: Monument of Ugo Rangoni, Bishop of
Reggio, and nuncio of Paul III. at the court of Charles V., by P. Clementi
(1566). Chapel to the left of the choir: Tomb of Bishop Buonfranceaco