to Bologna. BORGO SAN DONNINO. 50. Route. 361
S.W., viá (17*/2 M.) Bobbio (915 ft.), once noted for its convent-library (for
the most part now in the Vatican), and (35'/2 M.) Ottone (1670 ft.; Alb. Roma,
R. 1 fr.), to (56 M.) Torriglia (2505 ft.; Alb. Corona d'Italia, and others;
omn. to Genoa twice daily), a summer-reaort prettily aituated among
meadow8. The Monte Antola (5245 ft.; refuge-hut and extenaive view) may
be ascended henee in 2'/2 hrs. by a bridle-path. The road then descends,
beyond the (61 M.) Colle della Scoffera (2225 ft ), into the Bisagno valley,
passing Bargagii (1315 ft.), Prato (tramway to Genoa see p. 77), Doria
(255 ft.), and Staglieno (p. 94). — 88 M. Genoa, see p. 75.
The Railway from. Piacenza to Bologna follows the direc¬
tion of the Via Mmilia (comp. p. 356), several traces of which still
exist. View of the Apennines on the right. To the left lies San
Lazzaro, now the Collegio Alberoni. The church contains the tomb
of Cardinal Alberoni (1664-1752), the all-powerful minister of
Philip V. of Spain in 1711-19.
Near (48V2 M.) Pontenure (210 ft.) the train crosses the ÍVwre,
and soon passes Fontana Fredda, where Theodoric the Great and
the Lombard kings once possessed a country-residence. Beyond
(52 M.) Cadeo the Arda is crossed. — 56 M. Fiorenzuola d'Arda
(270 ft.), a small but thriving place.
From Fiorenzuola a light railway runs in one direction viá (5 M.)
Cortemaggiore, containing altar-pieces by Pordenone in the Chiesa dell'
Annunziata, and two tombs of the school of Amadeo in the parish church,
to (1872 M ) Cremona fp. 206); and in the other direction viá (6 M.) Castellar-
qualo (p. 360) to (972 M.) Lugagnano (p. 360). The interesting little town of
Castellarquato posseasea a caatle of the Viaconti and a Palazzo Comunale,
both dating from the 14th century. In the Chiesa Principale are oíd MSS.
and a magniflcent crucifix (16th cent.); the pretty cloisters adjoining the
church date from the 13th century.
The village of Chiaravalle, 372 M. to the E. of Fiorenzuola (carriage-
road), possesses one of the flnest cloisters in the Emilia (ca. 1400), adjoining
the Gothic parish church.
64V2 M. Borgo San Sonnino (235 ft.; Aquila Romana; León
d' Oro), a small town of 6300 inhab., the ancient Fidentia Julia,
which received its present ñame in 387 from St. Domninus, who
had suffered martyrdom about a century earlier, under Maximian,
and to whom the ancient *Cathedral is dedicated. This is one of
the flnest Romanesque churches in N. Italy; the admirable facade
(the upper part unfinished) has three lion-portals and numerous
reliefs (some by Benedetto Antelanii, p. 366).
Steam-tramways connect Borgo S. Donnino with Soragna (p. 370), 57íM.
to the N.E., and with Salsomaggiore (510 ft.; "Gr. Hót. des Thermes, R.
from 3l/2, B. I72, déj. 372, D. 5, pens. from 10 fr.; Hót. Central Bagni, pens.
from 10 fr.; Gr. Hót. G. Delraz, these three of the first class; Gr. Alb.
Milano; Hót. Cuvour, pens. 872-972 fr.; Hót. Bellevue, etc.), 6 M. to the S.W.,
a watering-place pleasantly situated among the foothills of the Apennines,
scattered over which are many castles. The strong salinc and aulphurous
springs have recently come into favour with foreigners aa well as Italians
(season, lst April-15th Nov.). Cable-railway up Monte Cucco (920 ft.) to
70 M. Castelguelfo, with a ruined castle erected by the Ghibel-
line Orlando Pallavicino as Torre d' Orlando, but captured in 1407
and re-named by the Guelph Ottone Terzi of Parma. — At (72 M.)