360 Route 50. ima.uim>z-a. From Milán
The library containa about 120,000 vols. and 2800 MSS., including a
valuable psalter on red parchment, bound in silver, which once belonged
to Engilberga, the consort of Emp. Lewia II. (857), and a copy of Dante
('Codex Landianua'), aupposed to date from 1336.
The Strada alia Cittadella, the third turning to the right out
of the Via Fel. Cavallotti, leads to the huge Palazzo Farnese (Pl. D,
1, 2), erected in 1558 et seq. by Vignola, for Duke Ottavio Farnese
(see below), but never completed, and now a barrack.
The Via San Sisto, diverging on the right from the Via Borghetto,
the continuation of the Via Fel. Cavallotti, brings us to the church
of *San Sisto (Pl. C, 1), an ancient edifice, rebuilt in 1499-1511
in the Renaissance style, with a flne Ionic colonnade in front of the
About 1515 Raphael painted for thia church the Sistine Madonna (now at
Dresden), which was sold in 1753 to Angustus III., King of Poland and
Elector of Saxony, for 20,000 ducats and replaced by a copy by Avanzini.
The choir contains pictures by Camillo Procaccini, Palma Giovane, etc., and
also several much damaged intarsias by Burt. du Busselo. In the left transept
is the unfinished monument of Margaret of Austria (d. 1586), daughter of
Charles V. and wife of Ottavio Farnese, Duke of Parma, the father of
From the W. side of the Piazza de' Cavalli the Via Umberto leads
to the N.W. to the Museo Cívico (Pl. C, 2), opened in 1903 and con¬
taining an archseological and palseontological collection, a flne
Flemish piece of tapestry, and some good pictures (Antonello da
Messina, Ecce Homo; Sandro Botticelli, Madonna and angels).
Henee we proceed through the Via di Campagna, past the church
of «Sanio Sepolcro (left; Pl. B, 2), a Renaissaance structure of the
early 16th cent., and the monastery of the same ñame, built in
1503 probably from designs by Bramante, to the church of —
Santa María di Campagna (Pl. A, 1, 2), an early-Renaissance
building of the 15th cent., disflgured by alterations. It contains ad¬
mirable *Frescoes by Pordenone (1529-31): to the left of the entrance
St. Augustine, to the right, St. George; in the two chapéis on the
left scenes from the life of the Virgin and of St. Catharine; and in
the large dome prophets and sibyls, etc.
From Piacenza to Turin, see R. 49.
"i,1;! P- fbíh ",n the valley of the Arda- — *• Via (10 M.) Grazzano and
roo,^l^°p'«fe« 0«o (Albergo del Solé, poor), in the Val di Nure, to
(¿2'/2 M.) Beltola (Alb. dell' Agnello, rustic). — 5. Viá (13Ví M.) Castel San
Giovanni and (17 M.) Borgonovo to (24 M.) Pianéllo (605 ft.) in the Tidone Valley.
About 9 M. to the S.E, of Ponte dell' Olio (see above), but more con-
veniently reached by the Lugagnano tramway (aee above), lie the remains
of the ancient town of Velleía, which ia believed to have been buried by
a landahn in the reign of the Emp. Probua (about 278 A.D.). An amphi-
theatre, temple, forum, and aome Ligurian tomba of the pre-Roman epoch
were excavated here in 1760-76. m<= Fi o ^vu.» y