354 Route 48. GRADO.
and soon became a dangerous rival of the mother-town. From 575 to 1451
it was the seat of a patriarch, whose title pasaed to the archbishop of
Venice in the latter year. Down to 1797 Grado belonged to Venice, but
since 1809 it has been, like Aquileia, under Austrian rule.
The "Cathedral (Sant' Eufemia) was founded after the model
of the churches of Ravenna by the Patriarch Elias (?; ca. 578), who
is mentioned by ñame in one of the early-Christian inscriptions. It
is a basilica with aisles but no transept, with a modernized narthex
and various altars of later date. — At high mass on Sun. the Cantus
pairiarchinus, an early mediseval liturgy, is chanted by the clergy
Interior. The mosaic flooring is that of the original church. — In
the nave, to the left, is a Romaneaque pulpit, with a canopy in the Ven¬
etian Byzantine atyle. — The high-altar has an antependium (pala) in em-
bossed silver (1372). In the apse are ancient frescoes (13th cent.) and the
patriarch's throne, put together out of various early-Christian fragmenta.
— Several early-Chriatian valuablea (silver pyx, reliquary) and medioeval
worka of art (bronze basin with enamels, reliquary) are preserved in the
sacristy and under the Altare del Santissimo Sacramento.
The Court of the church containa many remains of Román and
Christian monuments, including three Román sarcophagi.
Adjoining the cathedral is an early-Christian Baptistery. — A
few other relies of the early-Christian period may be seen in the
church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, which was also founded in the
6th century. — In 1903 the foundations of an 8th cent. (?) Basilica
with nave and aisles were discovered in the Piazza della Corte; below
them are fragments of an early- Christian aisleless basilica of the
6th cent., with mosaics.
Pleasant excursión (3A hr., boat 2 K. 40 A. -AK.) to the little island of
Barbana, on which is an ancient pilgrimage-church reconstructedin 1593-1612.