352 Route 48. AyuíLKlA. From Venice
1818. The well-preserved Cathedral (1038), with its altérnate pillars and
adoui o m. io me vv . uj a. onuu *«,»_.-.- —--—7..™
mirable frescoes by Paoío Veronese (painted atter 101¿).
42 M. Portogruaro (16 ft.; Alb. all' Italia), the seat of a bishop,
has 3100 inhab. and lies on the small river Lemene. The Afuseo
Nazionale Concordiese contains objects found in the excavations at
Concordia Sagittaria, the ancient Román Julia Concordia, situated
l'/4 M. to the S., which preserves an early medieval baptistery as
well as the Román remains.
A Branch Railway runa to the N. from Portogruaro to (13V2 M.; ca.
s/4 hr.) Casarsa (p. 348), viá (10 M.) San Vito al Tagliamento.
Beyond (46 M.) Fossalla we cross the Tagliamento and reach
(51 M.) Latisana.
62 M. San Giorgio di Nogaro, 011 the Corno, is the junction
of a branch-line to (18 M.) Udine (p. 349) viá (772 M.) Palmanova,
a frontier-fort laid out in the form of a star by the Venetians in 1593.
-— We now cross the frontier.
6872 M. Cervignano; 71 M. Villa Vicentina, the stations for
Aquileia and Grado (see below); 7672 M. Ronchi (p. 351).
79 M. Monfalcone, and thence to (100 M.) TWesíe, see p. 351.
From the rail, stations of Cervignano (5 M.; diligence 50 ft.,
one-horse carr. 2 K.) and Villa Vicentina (3 M.; one-horse carr. 2 K.)
shadeless roads lead to —
Aquileia (Aquila Ñera, well spoken of; Tortuna; Café Posta),
a scanty village of 900 inhab., which now lies about 572 M. from
the sea, but is connected with the lagoons by cañáis. In the vicinity
are many fever-breeding rice-flelds (p. 68).
The town of Aquileia, founded by the Romans in B. C. 181 as a bul-
wark against the Celts and Istrians, was already a commercial and trad-
ing place of great importance in the reign of Augustus; its chief products
were amber and glass ware. As a naval station and strong frontier-fortress,
it soon became the chief point d'appui of the Romans in their campaigns
against Illyria and the lands of the Danube. In 238 A. D. the town was
besieged in vain by Emp. Maximinua Thrax, in 452 it was destroyed by
Attila, after an obstínate resistance, and in 568 it was subdued by the
Lombarda. Thanks to the silting up of the lagoons and the rivalry of Grado,
it never regained its former prosperity, and alter its capture by the Venetians
in 1451, it sank, like Grado, into insignificance.
According to tradition, Aquileia waa converted to Chriatianity in the
first century of our era by St. Mark and St. Hermagoraa (d. 63), the tutelar
and flrst bishop of the town. It soon became a metrópolis of the new faith,
and'ita bishops assumed the patriarchal title in 557 (?) and for centuries
claimed equal rank with the popes. The archbishopric was removed to
Udine in 1752.
Of the Román Aquileia all that has been discovered is the re¬
mains of one street and the N.W. angle of the town-walls. The
sculptures and small works of art found in the excavations are pre¬
served in the Arohíeologioal Museum, founded in 1882, which