324 Roule 47. VENICE. e. From St. Mark to
We now return to the Rio San Felice and turn to the S.E. into
the Rio di S. Caterina. The high-altar-piece of the church of Santa
Caterina here (Pl.G, 3; if closed, entrance to the right, through the
Lyceum, Convitto Nazionale), is a *Marriage Of St. Catharine, hy
Paolo Veronese, a masterpiece and in admirable preservation (ca.
1572). At the end of the right aisle is a Tobías with the ángel, hy
Orazio Vecelli, the son of Titian.
We proceed to the E. to the Ponte dei Gesuiti, and turning to
the left reach the church of —
Santa Maria dei Gesuiti (Pl. G, H, 3), usually known as
'I Gesuiti', erected in 1715-30 in the baroque style by Dom. Rossi
(facade by Giov. Fattoretto). The interior is entirely lined with
marble inlaid with verde antico, and sumptuously decorated like all
the churches of this OTder.
At the High Altar (by Gius. Pozzo) are ten 8piral columna of verde
antico; in the centre, a globe, with God the Father and the Son. The
chapel to the left of the high-altar contains the Monument of Doge
Pasquale Cicogna (d. 1595), with the recumbent 'Statue of the deceased,
by 67. Campagna; adjacent, in the Sacristy, over the door, Presentation
in the Temple, by Tintoretto. Then, in the Left Transept, the Assumption,
an altar-piece by Tintoretto. In the lst chapel on the left of the principal
door i3 the Martyrdom of St. Lawrence, one of the finest of the altar-
piecea by Titian (1558), who 'never made a nearer approach to the grand
art of the Florentinea than when he painted thia piece, in which he
applied the principie of dramatic execution peculiar to Michaelangelo'.
Unfortunately it is darkened by age (seen beat about noon).
The Oratorio dei Crociferi (open in the morning), opposite the
church of the Jesuits, contains frescoes by Palma Giovane and
others, with excellent portraits of crusaders (1584).
We may return from this point either along the Fondamenta
Nuove (Pl. G, 2; view of San Michele and Murano), or past Santi
Giovanni e Paolo to the Riva degli Schiavoni (comp. pp. 326-328),
or we may combine this trip with an excursión to Murano (steam¬
boat, see p. 342).
e. From the Piazza of St. Mark to Santi Giovanni e Paolo, and
thence to the Riva degli Schiavoni. Eastern Quarters.
From the Piazzetta dei Leoni (p. 297), on the N. side of St. Mark's,
we turn to the E. by the Calle di Canónica, pass round the Pal. Patri-
arcale (p. 297) on the right, and observe opposite us the Pal. Trevisani
(Pl. H, 5), or Bianca Cappello, built in the style of the Lombardi
about 1500, and now occupied by the Camera di Commercio ed Arti,
or Chamber of Commerce. We cross the Rio di Palazzo (flne view
from the Ponte di Canónica of the back of the Palace of the Doges
and of the Bridge of Sighs; comp. p. 305), proceed across the
Campo Santi Filippo e Giacomo and beyond the second canal reach
the Campo di San Provolo. Thence we pass through a portal with
the inscription 'S. Zacearía', over which there is a flne relief, in the