320 Route 47. VENICE. c. Canal Grande.
Pal. Nigra, by G. Sardi (1904),
see p. 284). Behind are the Pal.
Labia and the Ghetto Vecchio
Pal. Flangini (now Clery), late-
Renaissance (unfinished), per¬
haps by Longhena (?).
*Chiesa degli Scalzi(Pl. D, 3:
steamboat-station, see p. 284),
the former church of the bare-
footed friars, begun in 1649 by
Longhena, with a fine farade
added by Gius. Sardi in 1683-89,
is perhaps the most imposing
specimen of the Venetian baroque
style. It was much damaged by
the bombardment of 1849, but was
restored in 1853-62.
The ceiling is decorated with a
large fresco by Tiepolo, representing
the miraculous removal of the house
of the Virgin to Loreto. The high-
altar, by Gius. Pozzo, with its eight
twiated columns, is a characteristic
example of the architectonic perver-
sities of the age of its construction.
Adjoining the Scalzi is the Ponte alia Stazione (Pl. D, 3), or
station-bridge, completed in 1858.
San Simeone Piccolo (Pl. D, 3,
4), rebuilt in 1718-38 by Scal-
farotto, is an imitation of the
Pantheon at Rome.
Stazione della Strada Ferrata
(Rail. Station), see p. 281.
Steamboat-station Santa Lucia
(Pl D, 4), see p. 284.
To the left, near the point where the Canal turns to the N.W.,
is the well-kept Giardino Papadopoli (Pl. C, D, 4; permesso at
the Pal. Papadopoli, p. 317). Farther on is the last steamboat
station, Santa Chiara (Pl. C, 4; see p. 284).
In the Cannaregio, which diverges from the Canal Grande at
San Geremia, rises, on the left, the Palazzo Labia (Pl. D, E, 3;
adm. 1 fr.), a handsome but neglected edifice by Andr. Cominelli
(1720-60), with *Frescoes by Tiepolo in the principal hall on the
flrst floor (Autony and Cleopatra). — Following the Cannaregio
farther, we reach —
*San Giobbe (Pl. C, 2; open till noon), an early-Renaissance
church begun in 1451 and finished after 1471 by Ant. Gambello
and Pietro Lombardi. It has a flne portal.
Left Aisle. The second chapel, built by a Florentine (perhaps Franc.
di Simone), has a handsome marble altar and a ceiling adorned with