c. Canal Grande.
47. Route. oiv
1724, on the site of the house in
which Catharine Cornaro, Queen
of Cyprus (p. 289), was born;
now the 'Monte di Pieta' or pawn-
Tal. Pesaro (Pl. F, 3), late-
but not finished untiT17lO, now
belongs to the city and contains
the Galleria Internazionale d'Arte
Moderna (p. 331).
Church of Sant' Eustachiof San¬
to Stae'), built by Giov. Grassi
in 1678, with rich baroque facade
by Dom. Rossi (1709).
Pal. Tron, 16th century.
Pal. Battaglia, by Longhena
(1668). — Adjacent is the Antico
Gránalo, or former granary of the
Fondaco de' Turchi (Pl. E, 3),
in the Romanesque style of the
llth cent., once (after 1621) a
Turkish depót, entirely restored
of late and fitted up for the
Museo Cívico (p. 332)..
Steamboat-station Museo Cívico
(see p. 284).
Casa Correr, now part of the
Gothic style, was built by Matteo
Raverti, Giov. and Bart. Buon,
and others in 1424-36; interior
lately restored by Barón Fran-
chetti. The popular reading of
the ñame (Ch d'Oro) is alleged to
be based on the original gilding
of the ornamentation of the facade.
Steamboat-station (p. 284).
Pal. Fontana, late-Rena issance
(16th cent). Here Pope Cle-
ment XIII. (1758-69; Carlo Rez-
zonico) was born.
Pal. Grimani della Vida (for¬
merly Gussoni), 16th cent., in
the style of Sanmicheli.
Pal. Erizzo, pointed style of
Tal. Vendramin Calergi (Pl.
E, 3), built in the early-Renais¬
sance style, about 1509, by Moro
Coducci (?), one of the flnest pa¬
laces in Venice, is the property
of Prince Henry of Bourbon,
Count of Bardi.
Motto on the exterior, 'non nobis,
Domine, non nobis'. The interior
(ahown by ticket obtained at Carrer'a
antiquarian shop, next Santo Staé's)
contains paintings (frieze by Palma
Giovane, Triumph of Csesar) and a
large collection of Chínese and Ja¬
panese porcelain.—Richard Wagner,
the composer, died in this houae in
1883 (como. Gabr. d'Annunzio's novel
Church oí Santa Marcuola (pro¬
perly Santi Ermagora e Fortu¬
nato) , with unfinished facade,
built by G. Massari (1728-36).
In the interior is an early work
by Titian: The boy Christ between
SS. Andrew and Catharine (to the
left of the S. entrance); also a Last
Supper by Jac. Tintoretto (1547).
Farther on, beyond the Canna-
regio (see p. 320), the church of
San Geremia (Pl. D, E, 3), dating
from 1753 (steamboat-station,