318 Route 47. VENICE. c. Canal Grande.
shops. — Description of the quarter near the Ponte Rialto, see
pp. 321-24 and p. 330. The Rialto or Rivoalto was the site of
the ancient city of Venice (comp. pp. 242, 243, and chap. ii. of
H. F. Brown s history), and it is the district (not the bridge) that
Shylock speaks of in 'The Merchant of Venice'.
Pal. de' Camerlenghi, early-
Renaissance, attributed to Gug¬
lielmo Bergamasco (1525), once
the residence of the chamberlains
or treasurers of the Republic.
Fabbriche Vecchie di Rialto, by
Scarpagnino (1520). — Adjoining
is the Erberia or vegetable mar-
ket (p. 330).
Fabbriche Nuove, by Jac. San¬
sovino (1555), restored in 1860,
and now accommodatingthe Reale
Pescheria (Pl. F, 4), the in¬
teresting flsh - market, an ugly
iron structure, now being super-
seded by a new Gothic edifice, by
Ces. Laurenti andRupolo. Behind
it are the remains of the Gothic
Pal. Querini (13th cent.).
Pal. Morosini (now Valeni),
Gothic (14th cent.).
Pal. Comer della Regina (Pl.
F, 3), erected by Dom. Rossi in
Fondaco de' Tedeschi, a Ger¬
mán warehouse from thel2th cent.
onwards, now the General Post
Office. After a fire in 1505 it was
re-erected by the state from a
design by Girolamo Tedesco and
again let to the Germans. The ex¬
terior and the turrets (removed)
were decorated with frescoes hy
Giorgione and Titian, completed
in 1508, of which only slight
Corte delRemer, 13th century.
Ca da Mosto, 12th cent. (?).
by A. Visentini (1760).
Pal. Michiel del Brush, orig¬
Pal. Michiel dalle Colonne
(Pl. F, G,3), originally Grimani,
now Dona dalle Rose, Gothic, but
rebuilt in the 17th century.
On the first floor are 'Flemish
Tapestries, of which ten (16th cent.)
illustrate the history of Scipio (from
cartoons by M. Coxiel) and four have
scenes of child-life, by a pupil of
Rubens (17th cent.). In the Salone,
Moretto, Equestrian portrait; 12 paint¬
ings by Pietro Longhi; porcelain and
majolica. In an antechamber ia a
ceiling-painting by G. B. Tiepolo,
who alao painted the beautiful coats
of arma in the gallery. — Entr. from
the Corso Vitt. Emanuele (p. 322)
through the short Calle del Duca.
Pal. Sagredo, pointed style of
*Cá Doro (Pl.F, 3; p. 290), the
most elegant of the palaces in the