c. Canal Grande. VENICE. 47. Route. 317
Pal. Papadopoli, formerly
Tiepolo, a Renaissance edifice of
the 16th cent., rebuilt in 1874
et seq. and sumptuously ritted up
in the styles of the 16-18th cent¬
uries. Adm. only on special re-
Pal. Businello, Romanesque
(12th cent.?), freely restored.
Steamboat-station San. Sil-
vestro (Pl. F, 5, 4), see p. 284.
The next two houses occupy
the site of the palazzo inhabited
by the patriarchs of Grado (p. 353)
in the 12-15th centuries.
Tal. Grimani, Renaissance,
chef d'ceuvre of Michele Sanmi¬
cheli, middle of 16th cent. , now
the Reale Corte d'Appello; 'the
principal type in Venice, and one
of the best in Europe, of the cen¬
tral architecture of the Renais¬
sance schools' (Ruskin).
*Pal. Farsetti (originally Dan-'
dolo), Romanesque style of 12th
cent., now occupied (like the fol¬
lowing) by the municipal offices
*Pal. Loredan, coeval with the
last, the residence in 1363 and
1366 of King Peter Lusignan of
Cyprus, whose armorial bearings
are seen on different parts of the
'This palace, though not conspi¬
cuous, .....will be felt at last, by
all who examine it carefully, to be
the most beautiful palace in the
whole extent of the Grand Canal'.
Pal. Dándolo, early-Gothie,
said to occupy the site of the re¬
sidence of the celebrated Doge
Enrieo Dándolo (p. 289; small
café on the groundfloor).
Pal. Bembo, pointed style of
Steamboat-station Carbón (Pl.
G, 4), see p. 284.
Pal. Manin, with facade by
Sansovino, 16th cent., belong¬
ed to the last Doge Lod. Manin
(p. 290) ; now Banca d'Italia.
Steamboat-station Rialto (Pl,
G, 4), see p. 284.
The Ponte di Kialto (i.e. 'di rivo alto'; Pl. G, 4),
built in 1588-92 by Giovanni da Ponte on the site of an earlier
wooden bridge, is 157 ft. long and 72 ft. wide, and consists of a single
marble arch of 90 ft. span and 25 ft. in height, resting on 240
piles. It is situated midway between the Dogana di Mare and the
railway-station, and down to 1854 was the solé connecting link be=
tween the E. and W. quarters of Venice. The bridge is flanked by