316 Route 47. VEN
Wagner wrote the second act of
'Tristan and Isolde'.
o. Canal Grande.
Pal. Moro-Lin (Pl. E, 5; now
Pascolato), a late-Renaissance
ediflceby Seb.Mazzoniof Florence
Pal. Contarini delle Figure,
early-Renaissance (1504), witl
trophies on the walls.
Pal. Mocenigo, three contigutrus
palaces, that in the centre occu¬
pied by Lord Byron in 1818. The
second and third of these palaces
date from 1580.
Pal. Garzoni (Gothic; i5th
Steamboat-station Sant' Angela
(Pl. F, 5), see p. 284.
*Fal. Comer Spinelli, early-
Renaissance by Moro Coducci, in
the style of the Lombardi.
Pal. Costanzo (formerly Caval¬
li), Gothic style of I5th century.
Tal. Foscari (called Pal. Gius-
tiniani before the addition of
the upper story by Doge Fran¬
cesco Foscari), pointed style of
15th cent, (restored in 1867), sit¬
uated at the point where the Canal
turns to the E., containing the
Scuola Superiore di Commercio.
Pal. Balbi, late-Renaissance,
by Aless. Vittoria (1582-90).
Pal. Grimani (a San Tomh),
Steamboat-station San Toma
(Pl. E, 5); seep. 284.
Pal. Pérsico, in the style of the
Lombardi (16th cent.).
Goldoni (1707-93), the writer of
Italian comedies, was born in the in¬
teresting Gothic house (good staircase)
behind this, at the córner of Ponte
S. Toma (bust and inscription).
Pal. Tiepolo-Valier (15-16th
Tal. Pisani a San Polo, in the
pointed style of the 15th century.
Pal. Barbarigo della Terrazza,
by Bern. Contino (1568).
Pal. Cappello-Layard, at the
córner of the side-canal Rio di
S. Polo, the residence of Lady
It contains an interesting collec¬
tion of pictures, including specimens
of Ercole Grandi, Savoldo, Cosimo
Tura, Moretto, Boccaccino, Giov. Bel¬
lini, Carpaccio, Buonsiguori,G. David,
Cima da Conegliano, Gentile Bellini
(portrait of Sultán Mahouiet II.; Ador¬
ation of the Magi), and others (adm.
on special introducíion only).
Pal. Grimani- Giustiniani, in
the style of the Lombardi (16th
Pal. Bernardo, Gothic (15th
cent.), now a mosaic factory.
Pal, Dona, Romane-que (12th