314 Route 47. VENICE. o. Canal Grande.
Punta della Salute and Dogana
di Mare (Pl. G, 6), the principal
custom-house, erected by Gius.
Benoni in 1676-82; the vane on
the tower is a gilded Fortuna. —
A little back, the Seminario Pa¬
triar cale (p. 340).
Santa Maria della Salute (Pl.
F, G, 6), see p. 339.
Abbazia San Gregorio (Gothic;
14-15th cent.), with tasteful
Palazzo Genovese (modern Go¬
Palazzo Volkoff (Gothic).
Pal. Darío, in the style of the
Lombardi (ca. 1480); under re-
storation since 1905.
Pal. Venier, consisting simply
of the groundfloor of a building
planned on a scale of great mag-
nificence, by Giorgio Massari
(18th cent.); with garden.
Pal. Morosini-Rombo, formerly
Da Muía (Gothic; 15th cent.).
Zecca (Pl. H, 6), see p. 298;
farther on, beyond the Giardino
Reale, is the steamboat-station
S. Marco (Pl. G, 6; see p.284).
Palazzo Giustiniani, now Ho¬
tel Europa (Pl. b; G, 6), in the
pointed style of the 15th century.
Chateaubriand, George Eliot, and
Wagner are among the ñames con¬
nected with this palace.
Pal. Treves (formerly Barozzi-
Emo), ascribed to Longhena
(1680). It contains Héctor and
Ajax, Canova's last works (fee
Pal. Tiepolo, now Hotel Bri-
tannia (Pl. c ; G, 6).
Pal. Contarini, Í5th century.
*Pal. Contarini-Fasan, Gothic
(14th cent.), the so-called 'House
Pal. Ferro (15th cent.) , now
the Grand Hotel (Pl. o; F, 6).
Pal. Fini (1688), now united
with the Grand Hotel.
Steamboat-station Santa Maria
del Giglio (Pl. F, 6), see p. 284.
Pal. Gritti, Gothic (14th cent.).
*Pal. Comer della Cá Grande,
built by Jac. Sansovino in 1532,
with spacious court, now seat of
the Prefecture and the Consiglio
The hall of the Provincial Coun¬
cil is adorned with ceiling-paintings
(Triumph of Venice, etc.) anda friezea
140 ft. long (Proceasion of the Doge,