b. Academy. VENICE. 47. Route. 313
bably Jac. Tintoretto ?), Portrait of Jac. Soranzo; Jac. Tintoretto,
234. Procnrator Andrea Cappello, 233. Doge Alvise Mocenigo. —
We return through the Vestibule (p. 312) and descend the stairs to
the left to —
Room XX, with carved wooden ceiling decorations of the 15th
On the exit-wall, *626. Titian, Presentation in the Temple,
painted in 1539 for this room, then the Sala dell' Albergo of the
Brotherhood della Carita (damaged).
'It waa in the nature of Titian to represent a aubject like this as
a domeatic pageant of hia own time, and seen in thia light it is ex-
ceedingly touching and surprisingly beautiful. Mary in a dress of celesti¬
al blue ascends the steps of the temple in a halo of radiance. She pauses
on the first landing place, and gathers her skirts, to ascend to the sec¬
ond. . . . Uniting the majestic Unes of a composition perfect in the bal¬
ance of its masses with an effect unsurpassed in its contrasta of light
and shade, the genius of the master has laid the scene in palatial archi¬
tecture of grand simplicity. . . . The harmony of the colours is so true
and ringing, and the chords are so subtle, that the eye takes in the scene
as if it were one of natural richness, unconscious of the means by which
that richness is attained. . . . In this gorgeous yet masculine and robnst
realism Titian shows hia great originality, and claims to be the nobleat
representative of the Venetian school of colour'. — C. á C.
Also, 15. Jacobeilo del Fiare, Allegory of Justice (1421); *625.
Ant. Vivarini and Giov. Alemanno, Madonna enthroned, with angels
and the four Fathers of the Church (1446), a masterpiece of the
early Venetian school and also interesting on account of the peculiar
Adjoining the Academy on the left is the Reale Istituto di
Belle Arti. To the left of the flrst court is a second, with the
inner 'Facade of Palladio's unfinished Convent of Carita (1561),
enthusiastically described by Goethe.
From the Campo della Carita to the church of Santa María della
Salute see p. 339.
c. Canal Grande.
The **Grand Canal, or Canálazzo, the main artery of the trafile
of Venice, fully 2 M. in length, with an average width of 77 yds.
and a depth of 17 ft., intersects the city from N.W. to S.E., and
resembles an inverted S in shape. It is crossed by three bridges,
the Ponte di Ferro (Pl. E, 6), the Ponte di Rialto (Pl. G, 4), and
the Ponte alia Stazione (Pl. D, 3), while small steamers and hun-
dreds of góndolas and other craft are seen gliding in every direction.
Handsome houses and magniflcent palaces rise on the banks, for
this is the street of the Nobili, the ancient aristocracy of Venice.
A trip on the canal is extremely interesting; 1 hr. at least should
be devoted to it in order to obtain a glimpse of the principal palaces.
The gondolier points out the chief ediflces; comp. also the Álbum
by Ongania (1 fr.; p. 286). The posts (poli) display the heraldic
colours of their owners. The following list begins at the Piazzetta.